>
Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Home Members List Top Posters Arcade Casino Toolbar
Go Back   Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards > The Razor > The SIX Ring Circus - Patriots Tailgate
Mark Forums Read rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read
Register All Albums FAQDonate Calendar

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Today, 05:19 PM   #1
MEPATNUT
Registered User
 
MEPATNUT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,136
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $975250


MEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrz
Midway 2019

We went to see this movie on Friday and we thought it was very good.

Now I know that the "critics" did not say good things about the movie. However if you read what most of what the "critics" said, many were giving reasons not related to the movie.

This movie tells the real story of the decisive naval battle with the Japanese fleet off the island of Midway. And it told the story of the events before the battle and the real men who fought the battle. This pretty much stuck to the historical facts and the special effects gave you a look as to what it must have been like for the pilots and the sailors aboard those ships on both sides.

I was disappointed in Dunkirk although the "critics' gave it high marks. It was good but could have been a lot better. Midway is worth shelling out the bucks to see on the big screen.

Last edited by MEPATNUT; Today at 06:49 PM..
__________________


  MEPATNUT is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 07:41 PM   #2
O_P_T
Why Be Normal
 
O_P_T's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2004
Location: Windsor, CT
Posts: 20,730
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $814125
My Mood


O_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
O_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousyO_P_T makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MEPATNUT View Post
We went to see this movie on Friday and we thought it was very good.

Now I know that the "critics" did not say good things about the movie. However if you read what most of what the "critics" said, many were giving reasons not related to the movie.

This movie tells the real story of the decisive naval battle with the Japanese fleet off the island of Midway. And it told the story of the events before the battle and the real men who fought the battle. This pretty much stuck to the historical facts and the special effects gave you a look as to what it must have been like for the pilots and the sailors aboard those ships on both sides.

I was disappointed in Dunkirk although the "critics' gave it high marks. It was good but could have been a lot better. Midway is worth shelling out the bucks to see on the big screen.
I've been a big fan of the story of the battle of Midway since I read Walter Lord's Incredible Victory 50 odd years ago.

I actually met George Gay when I was very young. I don't remember it. My father was a pilot in the Navy during WWII and he knew him.

I did chuckle at one of the ads I saw for the movie which claimed, IIRC, "the untold true story".

What part of that story hasn't been told?

Regarding Dunkirk, I think your disappointment has to do with what the movie was actually about.

It was not a movie about Dunkirk, in the historical sense. That is, it was never intended to tell an audience about what happened over those few days.

It was a movie about survival, that just so happened to take place at Dunkirk.

It's no accident that one didn't see a German on screen until the final seconds of the movie, when they capture the RAF pilot.

This was intentional. Because of this, the German's were portrayed more as a "force of nature" that the participants had to survive, than actual people.

Think lava in Dante's Peak, fire in The Towering Inferno, water in The Poseidon Adventure, etc.

The story is how the people on screen deal with, and survive, those things that are trying to kill them.

Now if that's not your cup of tea, that's fine.
__________________
I AM PATRIOTS

"Some day I want to see them raise up on their piss-soaked hind legs and howl, "Jesus Christ, it's the Goddamned Patriots again and that son-of-a-f*cking-bitch Belichick".
Paraphrasing George S. Patton
  O_P_T is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:16 PM   #3
Big/Sky/Fly
Doing God's Work...Sometimes
 
Big/Sky/Fly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moonover, Montana
Posts: 31,390
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $257353
My Mood


Big/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant future
Big/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant future
8-1 isn't bad...oh wait, whatever.
__________________
Steelers: 6 SBs w/3 HCs, 2 QBs, over 40 years

Patriots: 6 SBs w/1 HC, 1 QB, over 18 years


If You Donít Read the Newspaper You Are Uninformed, If You Do Read the Newspaper You Are Misinformed
- Mark Twain

You have to have the personality to match up with the Patriots
- Emmit(t) Smith

Wise man never play leapfrog with unicorn
- Confucius
  Big/Sky/Fly is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 09:53 PM   #4
rivshark86
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 383
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $70250


rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.
Dunkirk was awful. What was up with calling Germans the enemy, and not Germans? I got the feeling they were thinking of international sales, or were being politically correct or something. I was excited after reading the reviews and really let down. I understand the points made above. It wasn’t for me. Midway could be ok, but looks heavy on the CGI.

I’d love to get a good WW2 movie that’s not trying to make some statement like the thin red line, but that’s shot like the thin red line. I still need to see fury, but I had my doubts on that one. Enemy at the gates was pretty good. I guess saving private Ryan is the standard now.
  rivshark86 is online now Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:01 PM   #5
MEPATNUT
Registered User
 
MEPATNUT's Avatar
 

Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 3,136
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $975250


MEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrzMEPATNUT is teh r0xXOrz
Quote:
Originally Posted by O_P_T View Post
I've been a big fan of the story of the battle of Midway since I read Walter Lord's Incredible Victory 50 odd years ago.

I actually met George Gay when I was very young. I don't remember it. My father was a pilot in the Navy during WWII and he knew him.

I did chuckle at one of the ads I saw for the movie which claimed, IIRC, "the untold true story".

What part of that story hasn't been told?

Regarding Dunkirk, I think your disappointment has to do with what the movie was actually about.

It was not a movie about Dunkirk, in the historical sense. That is, it was never intended to tell an audience about what happened over those few days.

It was a movie about survival, that just so happened to take place at Dunkirk.

It's no accident that one didn't see a German on screen until the final seconds of the movie, when they capture the RAF pilot.

This was intentional. Because of this, the German's were portrayed more as a "force of nature" that the participants had to survive, than actual people.

Think lava in Dante's Peak, fire in The Towering Inferno, water in The Poseidon Adventure, etc.

The story is how the people on screen deal with, and survive, those things that are trying to kill them.

Now if that's not your cup of tea, that's fine.
Both Dunkirk and Midway were huge events in WWII. Had either turned out differently, who knows how things would have gone after that.

I didn't hate the Dunkirk movie. It just was not the movie that I thought it would or should be.


And if the ad did say "the untold true story", the person who wrote that should have been slapped in the face.

But the movie itself was very good and I did pick up a few things that I didn't know before. Such as, the US using high altitude bombers to go after the Japanese fleet. That was a complete waste of planes and the men on those planes.

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:57 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rivshark86 View Post
Dunkirk was awful. What was up with calling Germans the enemy, and not Germans? I got the feeling they were thinking of international sales, or were being politically correct or something. I was excited after reading the reviews and really let down. I understand the points made above. It wasnít for me. Midway could be ok, but looks heavy on the CGI.

Iíd love to get a good WW2 movie thatís not trying to make some statement like the thin red line, but thatís shot like the thin red line. I still need to see fury, but I had my doubts on that one. Enemy at the gates was pretty good. I guess saving private Ryan is the standard now.
You do know that all but the first half hour of Savings Private Ryan was fiction.

And what he hell is CGI?
__________________


  MEPATNUT is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:06 PM   #6
Big/Sky/Fly
Doing God's Work...Sometimes
 
Big/Sky/Fly's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Moonover, Montana
Posts: 31,390
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $257353
My Mood


Big/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant future
Big/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant futureBig/Sky/Fly has a brilliant future
Computer-generated imagery
__________________
Steelers: 6 SBs w/3 HCs, 2 QBs, over 40 years

Patriots: 6 SBs w/1 HC, 1 QB, over 18 years


If You Donít Read the Newspaper You Are Uninformed, If You Do Read the Newspaper You Are Misinformed
- Mark Twain

You have to have the personality to match up with the Patriots
- Emmit(t) Smith

Wise man never play leapfrog with unicorn
- Confucius
  Big/Sky/Fly is offline Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:16 PM   #7
rivshark86
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 383
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $70250


rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.rivshark86 has a great personality, really.
Yeah I know saving private Ryan was fiction. Historical fiction doesn’t bother me. CGI? Heck I dunno computer generated imagery maybe? You know, fakeish looking action sequences generated off a computer.

Those high altitude bombers forced the Japanese carriers to and zig zag which delayed them from launching their planes. I don’t know how the movie portrayed it, but from my understanding it wasn’t for nothing. It gave our side a distinct advantage.
  rivshark86 is online now Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Template-Modifications by TMS
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Patriots Planet is not affiliated with the NFL or with the New England Patriots. The views and opinions on this forum do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the owners and/or operators of this forum and website.