>
Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Home Members List Top Posters Arcade Casino Toolbar
Go Back   Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards > The Razor > The Five Ring Circus - Patriots Tailgate
Mark Forums Read rel="nofollow">Mark Forums Read
Register All Albums FAQDonate Calendar

Notices

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM   #16
JD10367
Registered User
 

Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: RI
Posts: 28,689
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $117752


JD10367 is still looking for a lifeJD10367 is still looking for a lifeJD10367 is still looking for a life
JD10367 is still looking for a life
The only one that would get me is "not competing in the team's Bowl game". That is where you support your comrades and achieve the culmination of your season's--if not your collegiate career's--goal. Honestly, aside from that, if I were a blue-chip prospect I'd pass on EVERYTHING. No individual team workouts, no combine, nothing. You can get just as injured running a cone drill in Indy as you can on a field. They have (I assume) four years of tape on you; that should be enough. Why risk your future big paycheck to show teams how you can catch passes from a Jugs machine?
  JD10367 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:27 AM   #17
O.Z.O.
5x ***** champions
 
O.Z.O.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rubbing a booger on the Ray Lewis statue
Posts: 18,727
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $120561
My Mood


O.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoon
O.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD10367 View Post
The only one that would get me is "not competing in the team's Bowl game". That is where you support your comrades and achieve the culmination of your season's--if not your collegiate career's--goal. Honestly, aside from that, if I were a blue-chip prospect I'd pass on EVERYTHING. No individual team workouts, no combine, nothing. You can get just as injured running a cone drill in Indy as you can on a field. They have (I assume) four years of tape on you; that should be enough. Why risk your future big paycheck to show teams how you can catch passes from a Jugs machine?
O.Z.O. Jr's best friend since 4th grade is at Stanford on a full ride. McCaffery told the entire team he wouldn't be playing in the bowl game and told them why. That included the coaching staff. Every one of them fully supported his decision. He was in a position where an injury could have potentially cost him 10M...every one of them realized that it could potentially be the same thing with them. If it didn't bother his teammates or coaches, it shouldn't bother fans.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


#FBaltimore: their coach, and their fans too
  O.Z.O. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM   #18
Hawg73
Mediocre with flashes of brilliance
 
Hawg73's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Gumdrop house on Lollipop Ln.
Posts: 20,273
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $575933
My Mood


Hawg73 makes Greek statues weep in jealousyHawg73 makes Greek statues weep in jealousyHawg73 makes Greek statues weep in jealousyHawg73 makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
Hawg73 makes Greek statues weep in jealousyHawg73 makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute View Post
He was the first guy I had set my sights on in draft anticipation. Prior to the Cooks deal.

I think he'd be ridiculously good inserted into this current offense. Sure his touches would be lower, with all the other weapons, but the production per touch would be crazy good.
Limiting his touches is probably the best way to get the most out of an undersized guy like him that plays (at least at Stanford) a lot of RB.

One thing that I'm hearing a lot of this year is how sub-220lb. RBs often just can't make the transition to pro ball. Too brutal on the body other than to limit their carries in a rotation as we do with White and Lewis. There is a long list of 215 lb. studs in college who just never panned out, so I tend to downgrade the guys like Alvin Kamara who was great at Tennessee but just doesn't have the frame.

That's a big reason why I'm high on Dont'a Foreman coming to the Pats. He'd could be that bad-weather hammer along the lines of Dillon and Blount and I'm not alone in that assessment. He could be our guy if he is still on the board.
  Hawg73 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:31 AM   #19
Dwight Schrute
Feeling a bit greater
 
Dwight Schrute's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 28,042
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $649855
My Mood


Dwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
Dwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg73 View Post
Limiting his touches is probably the best way to get the most out of an undersized guy like him that plays (at least at Stanford) a lot of RB.

One thing that I'm hearing a lot of this year is how sub-220lb. RBs often just can't make the transition to pro ball. Too brutal on the body other than to limit their carries in a rotation as we do with White and Lewis. There is a long list of 215 lb. studs in college who just never panned out, so I tend to downgrade the guys like Alvin Kamara who was great at Tennessee but just doesn't have the frame.

That's a big reason why I'm high on Dont'a Foreman coming to the Pats. He'd could be that bad-weather hammer along the lines of Dillon and Blount and I'm not alone in that assessment. He could be our guy if he is still on the board.
As enticing a talent as McAffrey is, I think we're kind of doubled up wrt that style already in Lewis & White.

You know I like that power back too.

And I want to like this kid you've brought up a couple times now. But first and foremost with a guy like that is ball security, and he scares me there.
__________________
The noose gets tighter every day Rog!
  Dwight Schrute is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 09:51 AM   #20
chevss454
Running up the score and loving it
 
chevss454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canton, MA
Posts: 46,956
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $11148251
My Mood


chevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhore
chevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawg73 View Post
That's a big reason why I'm high on Dont'a Foreman coming to the Pats. He'd could be that bad-weather hammer along the lines of Dillon and Blount and I'm not alone in that assessment. He could be our guy if he is still on the board.
Kevin Tame‏ @Kevin_Tame
The #Patriots have privately worked out #Texas RB, D'Onta Foreman and are now visiting with him again today. Blount remains unsigned.
__________________
Quote:
I stopped explaining myself when I realized other people only understand from their level of perception.
  chevss454 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #21
HSanders
omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
 
HSanders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: on Pats Planet
Posts: 24,280
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $608635
My Mood


HSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under center
HSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under center
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaric View Post
Yeah it doesn't bother me if he opts out of a university fundraiser.
I agree the NCAA is corrupt, 100%.
Yes that game makes them money. Yes that whole deal sucks. Yes the game doesn't "mean"anything. I get intellectually why he didn't do it, or anything else.

It's still an actual team game, and he's not playing in it on purpose.

I'm sure his teammates coaches etc. all told him they were fine with it. I have heard the same thing. Do I think every one of them meant it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe unlike him, some of them were being good teammates and supporting his decision. Maybe they support it, but have lost respect for him as a teammate. We will likely never know. And they are going their separate ways anyhow, it's not a team to which he is returning. So to an extent, I am sure he gives 0 fvcks what they think of him, and they give 0 fvcks about his teammatehood.

I want a guy with a more team first mentality when it comes to this sport. Everyone gets hurt, EVERYONE. It's not an individual sport like tennis or golf. If you won't play for your TEAMMATES (not the university, who cares about them, eff them) because you are too scared to get hurt, well, go take up tennis or golf.

It may not make "intellectual" sense to feel this way but it's the nature, the ESSENCE of the sport to me.
__________________
"Coach [Bill] Belichick always used to say, 'I don't give a s--- about our defense giving up yards; all I care about is scoring defense, turnovers and the red zone,'" Woody said. "That's really the key to football. A lot of coaches pound their chest and say, 'I've got the No. 1 defense.'
"That number doesn't mean anything."


UP YOURS, NAPOLIAN
  HSanders is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:21 AM   #22
subroc
Interested Observer
 
subroc's Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2015
Location: New Hampshire
Posts: 905
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $61350


subroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznitsubroc is the shiznit
Quote:
Originally Posted by PumpDee View Post
He's doing his best to drop into the Patriots' lap.
If he is all about the money, I am not sure he wants to end up a Patriot. Not like they are going to pay a running back.
__________________
Bill Parcells: "You are what your record says you are!"

  subroc is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:32 AM   #23
chevss454
Running up the score and loving it
 
chevss454's Avatar
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Canton, MA
Posts: 46,956
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $11148251
My Mood


chevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhore
chevss454 is a statwhorechevss454 is a statwhore
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSanders View Post
It may not make "intellectual" sense to feel this way but it's the nature, the ESSENCE of the sport to me.

The bowl game meant nothing.
Marcus Lattimore ruined his NFL career in a bowl game that meant nothing.
GMs won't care 1 whit that he skipped it and they'll appreciate that he's thinking outside the box to have an NFL career.
__________________
Quote:
I stopped explaining myself when I realized other people only understand from their level of perception.
  chevss454 is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:37 AM   #24
O.Z.O.
5x ***** champions
 
O.Z.O.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rubbing a booger on the Ray Lewis statue
Posts: 18,727
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $120561
My Mood


O.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoon
O.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSanders View Post
Do I think every one of them meant it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe unlike him, some of them were being good teammates and supporting his decision. Maybe they support it, but have lost respect for him as a teammate. We will likely never know. And they are going their separate ways anyhow, it's not a team to which he is returning. So to an extent, I am sure he gives 0 fvcks what they think of him, and they give 0 fvcks about his teammatehood.
I can tell you that this wasn't a last second decision on his part. These kids knew for several weeks going in that he wasn't going to play. Every one of them understood the decision and why he made it. We're talking about guys going to Stanford...they're not idiots.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


#FBaltimore: their coach, and their fans too
  O.Z.O. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:39 AM   #25
HSanders
omitted out of respect to Mrs.Jastremski
 
HSanders's Avatar
 

Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: on Pats Planet
Posts: 24,280
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $608635
My Mood


HSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under center
HSanders has warm hands under centerHSanders has warm hands under center
Tennessee Titan DT Jurrell Casey quoted by PFT TV show this morning on teammate RB Derrick Henry not showing up for voluntary unpaid OTAs:
"It puts that little checkmark in the back of my mind and lets me know who I can count on and can't count on. You want to see your teammates show up."

It can put doubt in some guys minds. In a team sport, that's a killer, IMO.
__________________
"Coach [Bill] Belichick always used to say, 'I don't give a s--- about our defense giving up yards; all I care about is scoring defense, turnovers and the red zone,'" Woody said. "That's really the key to football. A lot of coaches pound their chest and say, 'I've got the No. 1 defense.'
"That number doesn't mean anything."


UP YOURS, NAPOLIAN
  HSanders is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 AM   #26
O.Z.O.
5x ***** champions
 
O.Z.O.'s Avatar
 

Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Rubbing a booger on the Ray Lewis statue
Posts: 18,727
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $120561
My Mood


O.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoon
O.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoonO.Z.O. causes furry woodland creatures and birds to sing to them like a Disney cartoon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSanders View Post
Tennessee Titan DT Jurrell Casey quoted by PFT TV show this morning on teammate RB Derrick Henry not showing up for voluntary unpaid OTAs:
"It puts that little checkmark in the back of my mind and lets me know who I can count on and can't count on. You want to see your teammates show up."

It can put doubt in some guys minds. In a team sport, that's a killer, IMO.
This I would have a problem with. At this point the guy is a professional.
__________________
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]


#FBaltimore: their coach, and their fans too
  O.Z.O. is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:33 PM   #27
Defsoul
Registered User
 
Defsoul's Avatar
 

Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Germany
Posts: 2,230
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $189125
My Mood


Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.Defsoul is classy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSanders View Post
Tennessee Titan DT Jurrell Casey quoted by PFT TV show this morning on teammate RB Derrick Henry not showing up for voluntary unpaid OTAs:
"It puts that little checkmark in the back of my mind and lets me know who I can count on and can't count on. You want to see your teammates show up."

It can put doubt in some guys minds. In a team sport, that's a killer, IMO.
Totally understand Casey's view. At this point of the offseason, you have to work out to get in shape for training camp. Why not do it with your teammates? Looks like he'd rather work out in Tuscaloosa than Nashville.
  Defsoul is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #28
Dwight Schrute
Feeling a bit greater
 
Dwight Schrute's Avatar
 

Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Scranton, PA
Posts: 28,042
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $649855
My Mood


Dwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
Dwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousyDwight Schrute makes Greek statues weep in jealousy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Defsoul View Post
Totally understand. At this point of the offseason, you have to work out to get in shape for training camp. Why not do it with your teammates? Looks like he'd rather work out in Tuscaloosa than Nashville.
Miami alum were always noted for sticking with their program.

If you're gonna choose this path you better show up ready.
__________________
The noose gets tighter every day Rog!
  Dwight Schrute is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:34 PM   #29
spacecrime
Registered User
 

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hanging with the Howler Monkeys
Posts: 4,260
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $427250


spacecrime gets itspacecrime gets itspacecrime gets itspacecrime gets it
spacecrime gets itspacecrime gets itspacecrime gets itspacecrime gets it
Quote:
Originally Posted by HSanders View Post
I agree the NCAA is corrupt, 100%.
Yes that game makes them money. Yes that whole deal sucks. Yes the game doesn't "mean"anything. I get intellectually why he didn't do it, or anything else.

It's still an actual team game, and he's not playing in it on purpose.

I'm sure his teammates coaches etc. all told him they were fine with it. I have heard the same thing. Do I think every one of them meant it? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe unlike him, some of them were being good teammates and supporting his decision. Maybe they support it, but have lost respect for him as a teammate. We will likely never know. And they are going their separate ways anyhow, it's not a team to which he is returning. So to an extent, I am sure he gives 0 fvcks what they think of him, and they give 0 fvcks about his teammatehood.

I want a guy with a more team first mentality when it comes to this sport. Everyone gets hurt, EVERYONE. It's not an individual sport like tennis or golf. If you won't play for your TEAMMATES (not the university, who cares about them, eff them) because you are too scared to get hurt, well, go take up tennis or golf.

It may not make "intellectual" sense to feel this way but it's the nature, the ESSENCE of the sport to me.
You are so missing the point about team and business and taking care of yourself.

He isn't deserting his teammates by not playing in a bowl game unless every NFL player who opts to go to another team is deserting HIS teammates.

It's an effing job. WHen NFL players are being paid, they should do their job and play. Like you say, everyone gets hurt. That doesn't mean you should get hurt BEFORE you have your job.

I get your indignation, but you are setting a standard you would never live up to yourself if your future was on the line. Or, if you were about to retire, and before you left your job, your company asked you to do about 12 or 14 things, any one of which has a 1 in 300 chance (at least 2 players get hurt every year in pro day.combine/private workouts) totally negating your retirement package and leaving you with nothing, and oh, by the way, you get zilch if you do it other that you are a good teammate, would you risk the retirement you planned with your spouse?

That's at issue. Everything a draft-eligible player has worked for all his life has a real chance of not happening with nothing to gain except guys will respect you for being so dumb, and people with zero empathy will say you have not character.

Hey, every NFL player who leaves his NFL team to get more money from another team is leaving his teammates. It's a business, not a club.
  spacecrime is offline Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 01:18 PM   #30
Darth Despot
Not a real 'Merican - apparently
 
Darth Despot's Avatar
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Upgraded to Probable
Posts: 18,224
Posting Frequency


Casino cash: $358775
My Mood


Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.
Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.Darth Despot is your brother, your best friend forever.
Meh,

"Measurables" vs can the dude ball.

Give me film every day of the week. I don't care a wit about his long jump or 4 corner time.
__________________
"An image haunts me:
proceeding across a battlefield,
my father now dead,
I am up front to draw the fire.
I look back,
and one of those I was to protect has fallen."

Nicholas Wolterstorff, Lament for a Son (1987)
  Darth Despot is offline Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Template-Modifications by TMS
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Patriots Planet is not affiliated with the NFL or with the New England Patriots. The views and opinions on this forum do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the owners and/or operators of this forum and website.