Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Politics and Religion Forum (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Random Political Issues Mega Thread (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=74074)

anderson 10-10-2017 01:37 PM

Random Political Issues Mega Thread
 
I figured we do enough bickering around specific issues that we might as well start another free-for-all.

I'll kick it off with a non-partisan (I hope!) story of the scariest thing about getting old in states with lots of sunshine...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...e-their-rights

Baron Samedi 10-10-2017 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderson (Post 2467996)
I figured we do enough bickering around specific issues that we might as well start another free-for-all.

I'll kick it off with a non-partisan (I hope!) story of the scariest thing about getting old in states with lots of sunshine...

https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2...e-their-rights

I find this extremely interesting, but I will keep my comment brief.

Any time a person has another person or group of people deciding what's best for them, you're inviting trouble and suffering. Whether it is on a personal level or a society wide level makes no difference, the dynamic is the same...loss of liberty, loss of rights, loss of what separates you as a human from other animals.

All and always "in your best interest", of course.

Now, more specifically, there are no easy answers that I know of for how to deal with the elderly or the mentally disabled that are unable to sustain themselves without help of some degree.

It's never easy, it's never perfect. The best you can hope for is that someone that values the person more than they value the estate is making the decisions.

If you get someone that values the estate or the money more than the person, God help you.

anderson 10-10-2017 01:56 PM

Did you read the entire article?

The part I found most depressing is that this isn't just happening to people who can't take care of themselves. And with the help of bogus doctor statements to the contrary.

Baron Samedi 10-10-2017 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderson (Post 2468009)
Did you read the entire article?

The part I found most depressing is that this isn't just happening to people who can't take care of themselves. And with the help of bogus doctor statements to the contrary.

I skimmed through it, but I am intimately familiar with the problems and abuses of the elderly and disabled.

There are certain things I don't care to know too much about, and they generally revolve around children, the elderly, the disabled, and animals being abused.

General knowledge is fine, but specific stories strike a chord in me that I don't want struck.

BostonTim 10-11-2017 02:50 PM

This exact issue was an episode on Boston Legal, Maybe 10 years ago. And it wasn't new then. Its terrible and it's since the dawn of time.

Good find. Used to subscribe to the New Yorker at insane student rates back in the day. Loved talk of the Town and the 'toons.


Cheers

anderson 10-11-2017 04:14 PM

Sort of in a similar vein, but different, here's a story about "modern day slavery"

https://www.revealnews.org/article/t...hicken-plants/

anderson 10-11-2017 05:25 PM

And since I'm on a spree, I just finished reading this lengthy article about the death penalty in the context of one inmate scheduled to die tomorrow. It's long, but very engaging.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/...-robert-pruett

Baron Samedi 10-12-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderson (Post 2468279)
And since I'm on a spree, I just finished reading this lengthy article about the death penalty in the context of one inmate scheduled to die tomorrow. It's long, but very engaging.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/...-robert-pruett

Capital Punishment is one of those things that I ahve flipped 180 degrees on since being on this board.

I used to be very pro death penalty. Then my libertarian studies began to cause me to question it, but I still supported it if there was conclusive DNA evidence. Still, my skepticism of the general competence and integrity of the state bothered me so I wasn't 100% behind capital punishment.

And finally, my homegirl Annie Dookhan cleared it all up for me. State's Evidence can never be beyond doubt, and therefore capital punishment can never be supported.

Executing a single innocent person makes us all guilty of murder. I see it now.

anderson 10-13-2017 05:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anderson (Post 2468279)
And since I'm on a spree, I just finished reading this lengthy article about the death penalty in the context of one inmate scheduled to die tomorrow. It's long, but very engaging.

https://www.currentaffairs.org/2017/...-robert-pruett

Pruett was executed last night.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKBN1CH38F

Baron Samedi 10-19-2017 06:22 AM

Interested in what peeple think of this, and very interested in Darth's thoughts...

I'll link the article, but posting just the chart.

Staggering Chart Shows Your Personal Share Of Your State's Underfunded Pension

http://www.zerohedge.com/sites/defau...0Pension_0.JPG

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...funded-pension

Baron Samedi 10-24-2017 10:49 AM

Professor Claims Math, Algebra, And Geometry Promote "White Privilege"

A University of Illinois math professor believes that algebra and geometry perpetuate “white privilege” because Greek terms give Caucasians unearned credit for the subject.

But that isn’t the professor’s only complaint. She also believes that evaluations for math proficiency perpetuates discrimination against minority students, if they do worse than their white counterparts.

Rochelle Gutierrez argues in a newly published math education book for teachers that they must be aware of the identity politics surrounding the subject of mathematics.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness,” she argues with complete sincerity, according to Campus Reform.

“Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White.”


Gutierrez argues that subjects like algebra and geometry, which relate to arithmetic, also perpetuate racism and white privilege. She worries that “curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans.”

Gutierrez claims that the importance of math skills in the real world also places what she calls an “unearned privilege” for those who are good at it. Because most math teachers in the United States are white, white people stand to benefit from their grasp of the subject disproportionate to members of other races.

“Are we really that smart just because we do mathematics?” she asks, raising the question as to why math professors get more grants than “social studies or English” professors.

“If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned,” she says, claiming that minorities “have experienced microaggressions from participating in math classrooms… [where people are] judged by whether they can reason abstractly.”

WTF? Did she just say minorities are too stupid to do math?

To resolve the intelligence gap, Gutierrez calls on math professors to develop a sense of “political conocimiento,” a Spanish term for “political knowledge for teaching.”

She concludes her argument with the claim that all knowledge is “relational,” or is, in other words, relative. “Things cannot be known objectively; they must be known subjectively.”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...hite-privilege

Dear Professor Leftist Virtue Signalling Snowflake,

Math and Algebra are actually Arabic. "Algebra" is a bastardization of "al-jabr", invented by Mohammed ibn-Musa al-Khowarizmi....not exactly "Mr. Snow Whitey".

2. Thanks for letting us all know that minorities are too stupid to do or understand math, because they can't reason abstractly. That's mighty white of ya. Now I understand why us superior white people have to take care of the poor, helpless, stupid minorites.

Thank you for enlightening me. Wait...is "enlightening" a racist microaggressing word? Please write back and let me know, thanks.

BS

foobahl 10-24-2017 10:56 AM

I can't be the only one who thinks the border wall prototype reporting is kind of like a time share infomercial with that guy from CHIPS

Jaric 10-24-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Samedi (Post 2472048)
Professor Claims Math, Algebra, And Geometry Promote "White Privilege"

A University of Illinois math professor believes that algebra and geometry perpetuate “white privilege” because Greek terms give Caucasians unearned credit for the subject.

But that isn’t the professor’s only complaint. She also believes that evaluations for math proficiency perpetuates discrimination against minority students, if they do worse than their white counterparts.

Rochelle Gutierrez argues in a newly published math education book for teachers that they must be aware of the identity politics surrounding the subject of mathematics.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness,” she argues with complete sincerity, according to Campus Reform.

“Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White.”


Gutierrez argues that subjects like algebra and geometry, which relate to arithmetic, also perpetuate racism and white privilege. She worries that “curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans.”

Gutierrez claims that the importance of math skills in the real world also places what she calls an “unearned privilege” for those who are good at it. Because most math teachers in the United States are white, white people stand to benefit from their grasp of the subject disproportionate to members of other races.

“Are we really that smart just because we do mathematics?” she asks, raising the question as to why math professors get more grants than “social studies or English” professors.

“If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned,” she says, claiming that minorities “have experienced microaggressions from participating in math classrooms… [where people are] judged by whether they can reason abstractly.”

WTF? Did she just say minorities are too stupid to do math?

To resolve the intelligence gap, Gutierrez calls on math professors to develop a sense of “political conocimiento,” a Spanish term for “political knowledge for teaching.”

She concludes her argument with the claim that all knowledge is “relational,” or is, in other words, relative. “Things cannot be known objectively; they must be known subjectively.”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...hite-privilege

Dear Professor Leftist Virtue Signalling Snowflake,

Math and Algebra are actually Arabic. "Algebra" is a bastardization of "al-jabr", invented by Mohammed ibn-Musa al-Khowarizmi....not exactly "Mr. Snow Whitey".

2. Thanks for letting us all know that minorities are too stupid to do or understand math, because they can't reason abstractly. That's mighty white of ya. Now I understand why us superior white people have to take care of the poor, helpless, stupid minorites.

Thank you for enlightening me. Wait...is "enlightening" a racist microaggressing word? Please write back and let me know, thanks.

BS

It's fascinating how racist the "anti-racist" movement is.

Dwight Schrute 10-24-2017 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Samedi (Post 2472048)
Professor Claims Math, Algebra, And Geometry Promote "White Privilege"

A University of Illinois math professor believes that algebra and geometry perpetuate “white privilege” because Greek terms give Caucasians unearned credit for the subject.

But that isn’t the professor’s only complaint. She also believes that evaluations for math proficiency perpetuates discrimination against minority students, if they do worse than their white counterparts.

Rochelle Gutierrez argues in a newly published math education book for teachers that they must be aware of the identity politics surrounding the subject of mathematics.

“On many levels, mathematics itself operates as Whiteness,” she argues with complete sincerity, according to Campus Reform.

“Who gets credit for doing and developing mathematics, who is capable in mathematics, and who is seen as part of the mathematical community is generally viewed as White.”


Gutierrez argues that subjects like algebra and geometry, which relate to arithmetic, also perpetuate racism and white privilege. She worries that “curricula emphasizing terms like Pythagorean theorem and pi perpetuate a perception that mathematics was largely developed by Greeks and other Europeans.”

Gutierrez claims that the importance of math skills in the real world also places what she calls an “unearned privilege” for those who are good at it. Because most math teachers in the United States are white, white people stand to benefit from their grasp of the subject disproportionate to members of other races.

“Are we really that smart just because we do mathematics?” she asks, raising the question as to why math professors get more grants than “social studies or English” professors.

“If one is not viewed as mathematical, there will always be a sense of inferiority that can be summoned,” she says, claiming that minorities “have experienced microaggressions from participating in math classrooms… [where people are] judged by whether they can reason abstractly.”

WTF? Did she just say minorities are too stupid to do math?

To resolve the intelligence gap, Gutierrez calls on math professors to develop a sense of “political conocimiento,” a Spanish term for “political knowledge for teaching.”

She concludes her argument with the claim that all knowledge is “relational,” or is, in other words, relative. “Things cannot be known objectively; they must be known subjectively.”

http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2017-1...hite-privilege

Dear Professor Leftist Virtue Signalling Snowflake,

Math and Algebra are actually Arabic. "Algebra" is a bastardization of "al-jabr", invented by Mohammed ibn-Musa al-Khowarizmi....not exactly "Mr. Snow Whitey".

2. Thanks for letting us all know that minorities are too stupid to do or understand math, because they can't reason abstractly. That's mighty white of ya. Now I understand why us superior white people have to take care of the poor, helpless, stupid minorites.

Thank you for enlightening me. Wait...is "enlightening" a racist microaggressing word? Please write back and let me know, thanks.

BS

This mindset in people makes me hate life at times.

Big/Sky/Fly 10-24-2017 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaric (Post 2472052)
It's fascinating how racist the "anti-racist" movement is.

It's a religion. Possibly 501c3 (non-profit). :coffee:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:55 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Patriots Planet is not affiliated with the NFL or with the New England Patriots. The views and opinions on this forum do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the owners and/or operators of this forum and website.