Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The SIX Ring Circus - Patriots Tailgate (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deflated Footballs? - Ballgate posts go here - NSFW (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=69304)

Beaglebay 01-21-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mooseontheloose (Post 2201403)
Unless we all somehow believe a Pats staffer magically deflated 11 balls on the sidelines of an NFL football game without anyone noticing (LOL what?!), I think this must come back on the league. The only way I can imagine 11 of 12 balls being underinflated is if the weather played a role OR the refs didn't properly inspect the balls.

I don't see how this falls on the Pats, but in the eyes of the media and opposing fan bases, NE is already guilty and a win in this SB will be another asterisk win.

I think NE should demand it be so. Then every time I look at my phone, NE gets a ring.

jetstream1066 01-21-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve-o (Post 2201418)
Thanks for negative repping me on account of your ignorance, but ballboys are employees of the TEAM, not the league.

Haha.....negative rep.....haha....I'm sure I'll get some now too
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyD420 01-21-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream1066 (Post 2201417)
Agree to disagree
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow. Seriously?

HarpoonIPA 01-21-2015 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominated (Post 2201071)
Guys, my thing is. If its not a miss on the officials part and god knows I hope it is, and it's not a set up, then what? I just don't get it. Ugh nothing we can do but wait on more information. I will say instead of being excited about the SB I have a pit in my stomach.
Posted via Mobile Device

I'm devorstated today, I'm pissed and will most likely never watch another NFL game. The Patriots are arrogant lying cheaters. If this is the Patriots doings

king of kings 01-21-2015 10:34 AM

I can't believe with all this camera's. The balls locked away until the game. They can't find a video using high Def cameras ball boy using a tiny pin deflating the balls.

jetstream1066 01-21-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 2201419)
Yep. Surely they would have come up with something by now if that were the case.

It's in a vault with the ray rice tapes
Posted via Mobile Device

TommyD420 01-21-2015 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream1066 (Post 2201426)
It's in a vault with the ray rice tapes
Posted via Mobile Device

TMZ would have had it by now.

oldtimer 01-21-2015 10:35 AM

I'm so sick of all the bs. The Patriots are winners, so they must cheat! BLAH, BLAH, WHINE, WHINE. Could be this, could be that.

After hearing and reading all the hullabaloo I have to wonder : WHY do teams have to have their own balls ?? Why not have the officials be in charge of ONE set ( granted, there'd be many balls in the set ) instead of each team having their own set ? Okay, maybe this's because the divas like to think that they can take their ball and go home ???
I understand that some QBs like 'em soft, and some like 'em hard, but let them learn to cope.

bideau 01-21-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream1066 (Post 2201405)
I also mentioned earlier that he also runs it by the officials to ensure the inflation is correct
Posted via Mobile Device

He does not run it by the officials. By procedure, the officials get all the balls to be used and are supposed to check the PSI before the game. Rodgers does not personally go to the officials and present the balls to be tested. He's admitted that he has them over inflated and hopes the refs won't notice.

jetstream1066 01-21-2015 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyD420 (Post 2201423)
Wow. Seriously?

Yes.....I think it's possible to be discreet...you dont.....so you and I disagree
Posted via Mobile Device

jetstream1066 01-21-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bideau (Post 2201429)
He does not run it by the officials. By procedure, the officials get all the balls to be used and are supposed to check the PSI before the game. Rodgers does not personally go to the officials and present the balls to be tested. He's admitted that he has them over inflated and hopes the refs won't notice.

Google his quote...I'm not saying what he does or does not do.....I'm stating what he said
Posted via Mobile Device

king of kings 01-21-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldtimer (Post 2201428)
I'm so sick of all the bs. The Patriots are winners, so they must cheat! BLAH, BLAH, WHINE, WHINE. Could be this, could be that.

After hearing and reading all the hullabaloo I have to wonder : WHY do teams have to have their own balls ?? Why not have the officials be in charge of ONE set ( granted, there'd be many balls in the set ) instead of each team having their own set ? Okay, maybe this's because the divas like to think that they can take their ball and go home ???
I understand that some QBs like 'em soft, and some like 'em hard, but let them learn to cope.

Nfl will provide or have all the balls under lock & key. Now before & have a camera directly pointed to the balk boy during games.

ParanoidPatriot 01-21-2015 10:36 AM

Former Official Gerry Austin on Mike & Mike

I know that there is a thread going on about the deflated balls. But I think this important information that shouldn't get lost in the mega thread.

According to Gerry Austin this is how the ball procedure is suppose to work. 2 Hours and 15 min before the start of the game the balls are taken to the officials locker room. There they are tested and must be at 13 psi. We know this already.

But what is new is this. The balls are suppose to kept with the officials until 10 MINUTES before game time. Then they are brought out in a zipped up bag and given to the ball boys of both teams.

Now this is the AFCCG. There are more camera's around than a normal regular season game. It would seem that if someone tampered with the balls during that 10 minutes before the game, it will show up on a tape somewhere.

Now we wait to see if there is any visual evidence of this happening.

Marginmn 01-21-2015 10:36 AM

Physicist: Cold weather couldn’t have deflated Patriots’ footballs

The chair of Boston College’s physics department is shooting down claims that cold weather could be the reason some of the footballs used on the field Sunday evening during the New England Patriots’ 45-7 drubbing of the Indianapolis Colts may have been deflated.

“The pressure loss due to the temperature alone cannot be the issue in my mind,” said BC physics professor Michael J. Naughton, after plugging temperature data into a formula that calculates pressure loss. “If the footballs were notably lower pressure, then the only way it could have happened was if someone went in and stuck a needle in the ball and let two-thirds of the gas out, which means it is now up to the NFL to follow the chain of command — but no logical physics can explain the kind of pressure loss they’re talking about.”

The National Football League has confirmed it is investigating the possibility — first raised by longtime Indianapolis sports reporter Bob Kravitz — that the Patriots were using deflated footballs on the field during Sunday’s American Football Conference championship game at Gillette Stadium.

Footballs that are slightly deflated are easier to throw and catch.

The current controversy was initially reported by longtime Indianapolis sports reporter Bob Kravitz.

“We’ll cooperate fully with whatever the league wants us to, whatever questions they ask,” Patriots head coach Bill Belichick said Monday during his regular conference call with reporters.

He said he was unaware there was an issue until Monday morning.

According to the NFL rule book, home teams are responsible for furnishing playable balls at all times. Each team brings 12 primary balls, while home teams are required to also bring 12 backup balls.

Once the referee makes sure the footballs are properly inflated, they’re delivered to ball attendants provided by the home team.

"Sometimes it feels like you're throwing a rock in those conditions," he said.

A source told MMQB's Peter King that it's all about the grip.

"For a quarterback on a very cold and rainy day, if he’s gripping a rock-hard football, that’s different than gripping a football that is softer and has some give to it," the source said. "If you take a pound [of pressure] out of the footballs, that could be a significant difference in handling the ball."

The balls the Patriots were using were actually two pounds of pressure below the minimum threshold, so the advantage would have been significant.

While some have suggested that the underinflation could have happened naturally because of the cold weather, a Boston College physicist told the Boston Herald, "If the footballs were notably lower pressure, then the only way it could have happened was if someone went in and stuck a needle in the ball and let two-thirds of the gas out, which means it is now up to the NFL to follow the chain of command — but no logical physics can explain the kind of pressure loss they’re talking about."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/advan...#ixzz3PTFcEVSg

patriots pam 01-21-2015 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream1066 (Post 2201402)
Thanks for the inside scoop......is it speculation that 11 of qb balls were not properly inflated by as much as 16%?
Posted via Mobile Device

You're welcome. Any time.

And I wasn't questioning anything about the report on the Pats balls. You said you were hearing the Colts balls were properly inflated. I asked from where, and you answered that it was just talk on Mike and Mike. So not a statement from the NFL, or even a report from the media credited to "sources." That's all I wanted to know, so thanks for the reply.