Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The SIX Ring Circus - Patriots Tailgate (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Deflated Footballs? - Ballgate posts go here - NSFW (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=69304)

dchester 01-21-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 2201258)
What, no apologies from the Tar and Feather crowd who slammed me yesterday for pointing out that this involved more than just one Football and that it was likely done on purpose?

I'm shocked, shocked to learn that this involved 11 of the 12 balls the Pats supplied for the game and shocked to see that no one here can man up and admit that I was perhaps ahead of the curve on this rather than being a troll. :parry:

Yeah, and a broken clock is right twice a day too.

:jerkit:

TommyD420 01-21-2015 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream1066 (Post 2201302)
Bill belichick " I'm going to secretly video tape how other teams deflate footballs so I can do it better better"
Posted via Mobile Device

You can do better. :coffee:

Dwight Schrute 01-21-2015 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by claremonster (Post 2201309)
you're really scraping the bottom of the thunder pot when gailey is the best you can get rofl

fyp

jetstream1066 01-21-2015 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TommyD420 (Post 2201315)
You can do better. :coffee:

I know...but I'm not yet at my 2nd cup of coffee
Posted via Mobile Device

PatsFanLisa 01-21-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marginmn (Post 2201258)
What, no apologies from the Tar and Feather crowd who slammed me yesterday for pointing out that this involved more than just one Football and that it was likely done on purpose?

I'm shocked, shocked to learn that this involved 11 of the 12 balls the Pats supplied for the game and shocked to see that no one here can man up and admit that I was perhaps ahead of the curve on this rather than being a troll. :parry:

Idiot.

TommyD420 01-21-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetstream1066 (Post 2201320)
I know...but I'm not yet at my 2nd cup of coffee
Posted via Mobile Device

Well, get on it already. My 'take the air out of the ball offense' line was gold. :coffee:

dchester 01-21-2015 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shemp (Post 2201291)
I'm pissed. These two weeks are supposed to be a celebration for us and now we have to deal with this bullshit. How the heck could Bill allow this to be a "practice". It's not something you do for one game only.

It's still your choice. No one is forcing you to be upset.

As for me, I'm celebrating!!! The Patriots are going to the superbowl!!!

:dance: :dbanana: :cute: :dbanana: :dance:

Joe 01-21-2015 09:35 AM

Had a lot of respect for Mike Reiss, but he's saying the Patriots should be held accountable without even knowing the full story yet. 11 of 12 Patriots footballs were deflated--THAT'S ALL WE KNOW. We don't know if the referees gave it a thumbs up without checking the footballs, we don't know if they were legally at 12.5 PSI and dropped to 11 or whatever throughout the game, we don't even know if some mysterious ball-goblin was sneaking around the sidelines with an invisibility cloak deflating footballs while nobody was watching. I'm a little bit pissed at the Patriots for this, but I will wait until I hear the full story before I turn my back on them

bideau 01-21-2015 09:35 AM

Who would have imagined that Florio from PFT would be the voice of reason

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...g-deflategate/

Quote:

But plenty of questions remain. Hereís an effort to address as many of them as possible. If Iíve missed any, let me know in the comments. (As if you need an engraved invitation to do so.)

First, why didnít the officials notice that the balls were underinflated? The issue reportedly arose after Colts linebacker DíQwell Jackson intercepted a pass from Patriots quarterback Tom Brady and the Indianapolis equipment manager noticed that something was amiss. Multiple officials touch the balls the Patriots are using on every play. The umpire was repeatedly wiping the ball off with a towel before putting it down for the center. Simplest explanation: The officials either didnít notice that the balls were underinflated or the balls felt no different than they do in other games.

Second, what does a ball that is underinflated by two pounds per square inch feel like? Itís only a matter of time before ESPN or someone else has a ball inflated at the proper PSI and a ball inflated at the lower PSI for former NFL players to dig their fingers into on the air. Which may not be compelling TV, but could be instructive.

Third, were the balls properly tested before the game? With the NFL using mashed-up officiating crews during the postseason, itís possible that certain procedures fell through the cracks. Before assuming foul play by the Patriots, itís important to rule out error by the officials.

Fourth, how big of a factor was the weather? As noted in a prior post, the ideal gas law controls the operation of the gases that were inside the football. When the temperature drops, pressure drops. Thatís why, in the winter months, we inevitably have to put air in our tires. The air isnít leaking out; when the car is kept in the cold, the pressure inside the tire reduces. (Itís also why modern cars with automatic in-tire pressure sensors show the pressure increase as the car and its tires heat up with use.) Although it was a relatively balmy 51 degrees at kickoff on Sunday, a ball inflated to 13.5 PSI in a 72-degree locker room will necessarily experience a decrease in pressure with a 21-degree temperature drop.

Fifth, what was the in-game pressure of the Colts footballs? If the temperature caused the pressure in the New England balls to drop, it would have happened with the Indianapolis balls, too. At a minimum, itís an important comparison that, if it wasnít done, should have been.

Sixth, how was the chain of custody maintained? If the NFL plans to conclude that the Patriots did something to the balls absent a confession from someone who deliberately deflated them, it becomes critical to show that no one other than Patriots employees had possession of or access to the balls from the time they were given to the ball attendant until the moment they were taken out of the game. It also will be important to show that, once the balls were taken out of the game, no one other than game officials or other league employees had access to the balls.

Seventh, how widespread is the practice? Even if the NFL determines the Patriots deliberately removed air from the footballs, itís impossible to properly assess the level and degree of ďcheatingĒ without considering whether and to what extent others do it. Maybe most teams do it, which would help explain why the officials didnít notice it.

Eighth, should the NFL want pristine, fully-inflated footballs? The NFL wants teams to score points. With not enough competent quarterbacks to fill up the depth charts of 32 NFL teams, maybe the officials and, in turn, the league routinely look the other way on strategies aimed at allowing the quarterbacks to better grip and throw the footballs. Why else would the league have changed the procedures in 1999 for kicking balls only?

These issues, and probably others, need to be considered before taking Mortensenís report and concluding that it means Don Shula was right. Hopefully, the NFLís investigation will account for these potential variables both in the investigation and in the eventual public explanation of it.

Dominated 01-21-2015 09:36 AM

Does anyone actually think the NFL will let the Pats win the SB? Maybe I am crazy, but I just don't see it happening.

mikiemo83 01-21-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dchester (Post 2201325)
It's still your choice. No one is forcing you to be upset.

As for me, I'm celebrating!!! The Patriots are going to the superbowl!!!

:dance: :dbanana: :cute: :dbanana: :dance:

DANCE PARTY!!! DJ DC GET THE MUSIC PUMPING!!!

I have been doing a PASO DOBLE in the Twobridge Tavern all night, some fine rug to cut in that place

mikiemo83 01-21-2015 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joe (Post 2201326)
Had a lot of respect for Mike Reiss, but he's saying the Patriots should be held accountable without even knowing the full story yet. 11 of 12 Patriots footballs were deflated--THAT'S ALL WE KNOW. We don't know if the referees gave it a thumbs up without checking the footballs, we don't know if they were legally at 12.5 PSI and dropped to 11 or whatever throughout the game, we don't even know if some mysterious ball-goblin was sneaking around the sidelines with an invisibility cloak deflating footballs while nobody was watching. I'm a little bit pissed at the Patriots for this, but I will wait until I hear the full story before I turn my back on them

is he saying held accountable today or if the story is true? big difference

Beaglebay 01-21-2015 09:39 AM

We NE fans can only hope that the prosecution in the Aaron Hernandez case works as diligently for his conviction.

TommyD420 01-21-2015 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dominated (Post 2201330)
Does anyone actually think the NFL will let the Pats win the SB? Maybe I am crazy, but I just don't see it happening.

The game will be determined on the field, just like it always is.

Joe 01-21-2015 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikiemo83* (Post 2201332)
is he saying held accountable today or if the story is true? big difference

You're right. I overlooked that because I AM SEEING RED :cuss::cuss::cuss::cuss:

Quote:

The Patriots, assuming the initial inspection of footballs by referee Walt Anderson and his crew was done correctly and that weather wasn't a factor, should be held accountable.