Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The SIX Ring Circus - Patriots Tailgate (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Survivor Pool - real life edition (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76408)

grog 03-20-2020 09:49 AM

Survivor Pool - real life edition
 
Well it feels like we are all in a "survivor pool" now, doesn't it.

Since I'm over 60, have High blood pressure, am overweight and have asthma, it sounds like my odds are not as strong as I'd like them to be. So I am really trying to self-quarantine.

I have a feeling the demographic of this board may be in a similar risk category.

So stay strong, be smart, and keep the faith. It was a brutal week. Working from home, scary world news, and TFB leaving us. I think I am a bit depressed, and I'm usually a very optimistic light-hearted person. Pray if you are inclined for that, wash your hands, stay away from people.

I don't know what the point of this thread is, maybe we use it to declare if/when we test positive so the rest of us can offer encouragement and pray.

johnlocke 03-20-2020 10:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 2640593)
Well it feels like we are all in a "survivor pool" now, doesn't it.

Since I'm over 60, have High blood pressure, am overweight and have asthma, it sounds like my odds are not as strong as I'd like them to be. So I am really trying to self-quarantine.

I have a feeling the demographic of this board may be in a similar risk category.

So stay strong, be smart, and keep the faith. It was a brutal week. Working from home, scary world news, and TFB leaving us. I think I am a bit depressed, and I'm usually a very optimistic light-hearted person. Pray if you are inclined for that, wash your hands, stay away from people.

I don't know what the point of this thread is, maybe we use it to declare if/when we test positive so the rest of us can offer encouragement and pray.

Good thread.

As I've posted elsewhere on the board, we had a scare here but the results are negative. Our concern wasn't for ourselves as I fully believe it won't be a death sentence for most but we do have 3 older folks in the house including a 101 year woman. They were our concern. But as of now we're good.

spacecrime 03-20-2020 10:34 AM

I picked up a dry cough yesterday. No temperature as yet. Probably just a cold or regular flu but I am self-quarantining because I don't know.

I can't get tested because NH is now only testing for hospital cases. This makes sense because testing only tells me what I am like today and not tomorrow. When people have symptoms is the time for testing.

If I develop a fever or am suddenly out of breath (I do have a history) then I will go to the hospital.

In the meantime my wife and I are not going out at all.

I am really grateful for the internet. I'd be going stir crazy otherwise.

PatriotInIndy 03-20-2020 10:38 AM

I'm 37 and in perfect health. I'm the frontrunner.

Also, there have been 218 US deaths. Still 82 short of toaster related deaths per year in the US.

johnlocke 03-20-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecrime (Post 2640605)
I picked up a dry cough yesterday. No temperature as yet. Probably just a cold or regular flu but I am self-quarantining because I don't know.

I can't get tested because NH is now only testing for hospital cases. This makes sense because testing only tells me what I am like today and not tomorrow. When people have symptoms is the time for testing.

If I develop a fever or am suddenly out of breath (I do have a history) then I will go to the hospital.

In the meantime my wife and I are not going out at all.

I am really grateful for the internet. I'd be going stir crazy otherwise.

Wow. Didn't know you lived in NH. Cool.

Dwight Schrute 03-20-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatriotInIndy (Post 2640607)
I'm 37 and in perfect health. I'm the frontrunner.

Also, there have been 218 US deaths. Still 82 short of toaster related deaths per year in the US.

Clearly we need to ban all toasting.

Iím 52. Skate once a week, Coach 4-6 times per week, and lift 4-5 days per week.

Iíd like to go home and crush a 6 pack, a pizza, and cap it with a pint of Ben & Jerryís. But I donít.

Moderate.

And do whatever you can to get in the best shape you can. Itís THE most important investment. Some pour over financials. Some over possessions. Some with preparedness. But if you donít have health none of that matters, other than leaving it to someone when your gone.

Take care of yourselves.

Regular Dr visits. Dentists. Personal hygiene. And anything for fitness folks. Everyone can get outside for a walk or a roll if youíre in a chair.

What better time than now to make a positive change?

bideau 03-20-2020 01:28 PM

I'm 59 and fairly healthy, could use a bit more exercise, but no underlying conditions that I'm aware of.
My wife is 60, runs 5 miles/day, 4 days a week. She eats like a bird. As far as we know, she's fully healthy.

My mom, living with us, will be 90 this year. For her age, she's healthy. But 90 is 90. She's being fatalistic about it, if it's her time, then so be it. We're being cautious, but we just don't know if either of us could already have it and be asymptomatic.

I have an aunt that we look after living nearby, 82, very unhealthy. I don't have high hopes for her.

BostonTim 03-20-2020 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grog (Post 2640593)

I have a feeling the demographic of this board may be in a similar risk category.

:hello:

Cheers

spacecrime 03-21-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by johnlocke (Post 2640622)
Wow. Didn't know you lived in NH. Cool.

Portsmouth since '89.

BostonTim 03-21-2020 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecrime (Post 2640886)
Portsmouth since '89.

Cool place. Good food. Good music. Two or three weekends a year.

Cheers

PatriotInIndy 03-21-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bideau (Post 2640672)
I'm 59 and fairly healthy, could use a bit more exercise, but no underlying conditions that I'm aware of.

My wife is 60, runs 5 miles/day, 4 days a week. She eats like a bird. As far as we know, she's fully healthy.



My mom, living with us, will be 90 this year. For her age, she's healthy. But 90 is 90. She's being fatalistic about it, if it's her time, then so be it. We're being cautious, but we just don't know if either of us could already have it and be asymptomatic.



I have an aunt that we look after living nearby, 82, very unhealthy. I don't have high hopes for her.

Tell your wife to stop eating birdseed.

My grandma in law is 99 and her attitude is "nothing is stopping me from hitting 100". She's seen some shit in her days, so I'm betting on her.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Hawg73 03-21-2020 04:46 PM

I just turned 64, which is.....hard for me to really believe, but I'm in decent shape medically speaking.

I've had 4 heart attacks and a couple of other major issues over the last few years including the exact thing that almost killed Drew Bledsoe (sheared blood vessel causing lungs to fill with blood from skiing accident) and got and beat Lyme disease last July.

So, you'd think I'd be nervous. A turkey on Thanksgiving week.

Nope, not a bit. I'm being cautious, though. Went to the market at 7 this morning with a mask and gloves on. I don't care how it looks.

My wife and I are both retired, so we're lucky in that self-quarantine is not a huge departure from our norm like it is for a lot of people.

One key is having something to keep you occupied so the walls don't close in. She's a sewing/quilting fanatic presently making face masks for medical folks (cotton masks are surprisingly effective and better than nothing) and I'm busting my ass out in the yard and doing woodworking stuff in the basement on rainy days.

FWIW, I saw a chart today that suggested that surgical masks are roughly 90% effective in screening out bacterial particles, but almost nobody can find them at the moment. That number should be a little better for covid-19 beasties because the virus particles are a hair larger. A couple of pieces of cotton (the higher the thread count the better) stitched together or folded and secured snugly around your nose and mouth should give you approximately 70% better protection than nothing at all, so if you can't find a surgical mask then you might want to improvise with a cotton bandana thingy to improve the odds.

Vacuum cleaner bags and even coffee filters might work even better in a pinch, but breathing through them is a lot harder.

May the odds be ever in your favor, and if the zombies ever show up it's going to be a piece of cake to deal with, because at least we'll be able to see them coming.

PatsFan09 03-21-2020 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecrime (Post 2640886)
Portsmouth since '89.



Love Portsmouth. My older sister is a doctor who lives in Rye, so Iím up that way often .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bideau 03-21-2020 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFan09 (Post 2640895)
Love Portsmouth. My older sister is a doctor who lives in Rye, so Iím up that way often .


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Portsmouth is a great town. I worked in Durham for 5 years and spent a lot of time there.

BostonTim 03-22-2020 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bideau (Post 2640919)
Portsmouth is a great town. I worked in Durham for 5 years and spent a lot of time there.

Hit Durham occasionally for the Ice Cream. :)


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:02 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Patriots Planet is not affiliated with the NFL or with the New England Patriots. The views and opinions on this forum do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the owners and/or operators of this forum and website.