Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   The SIX Ring Circus - Patriots Tailgate (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Nick Caserio wants out of New England (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=75853)

Big/Sky/Fly 06-17-2019 02:53 PM

Nick Caserio wants out of New England
 
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...f-new-england/

Take it with a grain of salt...

TommyD420 06-17-2019 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big/Sky/Fly (Post 2593549)

Quote:

According to Ben Volin of the Boston Globe
:coffee:

foobahl 06-17-2019 03:02 PM

can a quasi-GM be traded?

Patriots-Lifer 06-17-2019 03:35 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Big/Sky/Fly (Post 2593549)

Maybe a little more than a grain of salt for this one

grog 06-17-2019 03:40 PM

Gonna need to take it with a teaspoon of sugar I think.

Dwight Schrute 06-17-2019 04:02 PM

There’s no doubt in the disgust for Ben Volin.

I only hope it’s a false feed to make him look a bigger ass.

OSUBuckeye 06-17-2019 07:59 PM

The person responsible for proof reading this article failed. “Qeustion.” Seriously.

Dwight Schrute 06-17-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSUBuckeye (Post 2593567)
The person responsible for proof reading this article failed. “Qeustion.” Seriously.

:shrug_n:

Spanish for “question”?

subroc 06-17-2019 08:43 PM

Ben Volin.


So this just has to be true.


Aaahhhh ha ha ha ha ha ha.

OSUBuckeye 06-17-2019 09:00 PM

I’m not at all familiar with Volin. I’m guessing his m.o. is to stir up shit.:shrug_n:

Big/Sky/Fly 06-17-2019 11:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSUBuckeye (Post 2593572)
I’m not at all familiar with Volin. I’m guessing his m.o. is to stir up shit.:shrug_n:

Yup. Similar to Florio.

bideau 06-18-2019 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OSUBuckeye (Post 2593572)
I’m not at all familiar with Volin. I’m guessing his m.o. is to stir up shit.:shrug_n:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big/Sky/Fly (Post 2593574)
Yup. Similar to Florio.

Not at all like Florio. Florio may enjoy throwing out the rumors, but he's correct far more often than he's not and he makes it clear when he's giving his own opinion.

Volin is a hack. He's from Miami and covered the Fins before coming to Boston. He has a clear dislike for the Pats and his coverage is rarely positive. It's not at all clear that he has any real sources and there's a better chance that he's just rehashing things he reads on the internet.

TommyD420 06-18-2019 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bideau (Post 2593590)
Not at all like Florio. Florio may enjoy throwing out the rumors, but he's correct far more often than he's not and he makes it clear when he's giving his own opinion.

Volin is a hack. He's from Miami and covered the Fins before coming to Boston. He has a clear dislike for the Pats and his coverage is rarely positive. It's not at all clear that he has any real sources and there's a better chance that he's just rehashing things he reads on the internet.

He has one source.

www.google.com

subroc 06-18-2019 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bideau (Post 2593590)
Not at all like Florio. Florio may enjoy throwing out the rumors, but he's correct far more often than he's not and he makes it clear when he's giving his own opinion.

Volin is a hack. He's from Miami and covered the Fins before coming to Boston. He has a clear dislike for the Pats and his coverage is rarely positive. It's not at all clear that he has any real sources and there's a better chance that he's just rehashing things he reads on the internet.

As a general matter, I agree with your point.

I don't follow these guys at all. I only occasionally find myself reading something they wrote through some link. I am likely to continue reading a Florio story and would click away from a volin story.

Florio isn't awful.

Volin isn't worth the time.

Hawg73 06-18-2019 09:20 AM

In general, there are usually one or two guys associated with Boston newspapers at any given time that aren't afflicted with a bad case of Felgeritis.

Sometimes a guy that you think is legit will suddenly go off the deep end like he got a memo from the top brass that it's time to up his hit count or and that guy will start with the well-worn routine that we all know so well.

Belichick is heartless, there is dissension in the ranks, the dynasty is over, blah, blah, blah. It is entirely predictable and always, always wrong. Almost hilarious.

I just stop reading those guys entirely and never worry about them again. If Ben Volin wrote that it was a beautiful, sunny day outside I'd walk to the nearest window to see for myself. He's got a toxic approach to the best team in the history of football and thinks he's a brave rebel. Not so much.

I don't want a homer, just give me the facts and remind me of the historical context to any moves the Pats are making or might make. If you're good enough to analyze or anticipate any new wrinkes in their scheme I'm interested. All the TMZ stuff, no thanks. This team will make you look stupid and it won't take long.

Most good, smart writers for the papers leave after a couple of years on the beat. There is a reason for that.

Right now I like Evan Lazar quite a bit, because he is savvy on the X's and O's and isn't ashamed to admire this organization. His website CLNS is awful, but his content is excellent for the most part.

The day the Boston Globe goes out of business I'm going to celebrate.

RoadGrader 06-18-2019 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg73 (Post 2593598)
In general, there are usually one or two guys associated with Boston newspapers at any given time that aren't afflicted with a bad case of Felgeritis.

Sometimes a guy that you think is legit will suddenly go off the deep end like he got a memo from the top brass that it's time to up his hit count or and that guy will start with the well-worn routine that we all know so well.

Belichick is heartless, there is dissension in the ranks, the dynasty is over, blah, blah, blah. It is entirely predictable and always, always wrong. Almost hilarious.

I just stop reading those guys entirely and never worry about them again. If Ben Volin wrote that it was a beautiful, sunny day outside I'd walk to the nearest window to see for myself. He's got a toxic approach to the best team in the history of football and thinks he's a brave rebel. Not so much.

I don't want a homer, just give me the facts and remind me of the historical context to any moves the Pats are making or might make. If you're good enough to analyze or anticipate any new wrinkes in their scheme I'm interested. All the TMZ stuff, no thanks. This team will make you look stupid and it won't take long.

Most good, smart writers for the papers leave after a couple of years on the beat. There is a reason for that.

Right now I like Evan Lazar quite a bit, because he is savvy on the X's and O's and isn't ashamed to admire this organization. His website CLNS is awful, but his content is excellent for the most part.

The day the Boston Globe goes out of business I'm going to celebrate.


:archive::archive:


https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/00...g?v=1538706287



:LOL: :LOL: :coffee::coffee:

EasyBigFella 06-18-2019 09:38 AM

Hack article from a hack writer in Ben Volin. He takes his baseless opinion and spins it like it's fact. There's a reason why General Sherman said that if "all reporters were dead today, we'd have reports from hell by morning".

subroc 06-18-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg73 (Post 2593598)
...The day the Boston Globe goes out of business I'm going to celebrate.


me too

Giant Octopodes 06-18-2019 10:43 AM

I like the NESN folks, they tend to accurately convey what they see and hear and provide solid boots on the ground coverage without engaging in excessive speculation or rumor mongering.

subroc 06-18-2019 12:31 PM

As an aside to the story, I tried to comment to one of the stories on this subject by Florio over on NBCSports and it didn't clear. I expect it was the reference to "fake news" that doomed it.

Dwight Schrute 06-18-2019 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giant Octopodes (Post 2593607)
I like the NESN folks, they tend to accurately convey what they see and hear and provide solid boots on the ground coverage without engaging in excessive speculation or rumor mongering.

What a novel concept. Actual reporting.

OJ's Glove 06-18-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EasyBigFella (Post 2593601)
There's a reason why General Sherman said that if "all reporters were dead today, we'd have reports from hell by morning".


"I treat them as spies. Which is what, in truth, they are."

bideau 06-18-2019 01:12 PM

I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We had <a href="https://twitter.com/BenVolin?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BenVolin</a> on the show today <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsRadio610?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SportsRadio610</a>, and he made it clear that his piece about Caserio is his OPINION, not a report. It’s being aggregated as a report of fact everywhere. Not the case. <a href="https://t.co/w9CZ4D4jNL">https://t.co/w9CZ4D4jNL</a></p>&mdash; Sean Pendergast (@SeanTPendergast) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanTPendergast/status/1140797043054665731?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 18, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The ‘Nick Caserio Wants Out’ Report Was Not A Report At All; It Was Opinion

Quote:

By Michael Hurley, CBS Boston

BOSTON (CBS) — On Monday afternoon, The Boston Globe shared a story that carried the headline, “The real story in the Patriots-Texans clash: Nick Caserio wants out.” The story included the line, “The real story is this: Nick Caserio wants out of New England.” The story also included this line: “Specifically, he wants that Texans job.” This line was also there: ” It’s certainly a significant plot twist that Caserio wants out.” And, there were these two lines: “If Caserio is concerned about job security, there is no better place than New England, where he has lasted 19 years. Yet he still wants the Houston job.”

Lastly, there was this conclusion: “It is interesting, to say the least, to see that Caserio wants out of New England.”

The story was very straightforward, and given that it was written by NFL reporter Ben Volin, most outlets (including this one and many others) considered the story to be a report.

But apparently, this was all just Volin’s opinion.

Volin went on Sports Radio 610 in Houston and explained that he did not have any sources telling him that Caserio wants out.

“So I just want to clarify one thing,” Volin said on “The Triple Threat” show. “I’m seeing my column that I just posted a half-hour ago, I’m seeing it being referred to as a report all over the internet. And I don’t think it’s a report. I’m not talking, like, I don’t have direct information from Caserio or his agent. Like, no one’s telling me, ‘Aw, Nick wants out.’ What I’m doing is looking at all the facts of the situation and analyzing it and using some logic and common sense to try to tell people what’s going on. And what I think is going on is pretty clear, that Nick Caserio wanted that Texans job, and the fact that the Krafts and the Patriots had to lawyer up and enforce his contract and file the tampering charges against the Texans, it’s pretty clear that Caserio wanted that job and the Patriots are basically enforcing Caserio to play out his contract, so to speak.”

On the one hand, the story itself didn’t cite any sources. On the other hand, the definitive language both in the headline and the story did make it appear to be factual.

And while Volin’s dot-connecting is fair and logical, it’s not the only possible conclusion one could draw from the situation. It remains possible that Caserio is perfectly happy in his role as direct of player personnel for the Patriots, and it remains possible that Jack Easterby tried to improperly recruit Caserio during the Patriots’ ring ceremony last week at Robert Kraft’s house. If both of those scenarios were true, then it’s likely that Caserio would have informed his bosses of such contact. Those bosses may have responded accordingly.

Now, all of that is just mere conjecture, and it is not reporting. It does, though show at least one alternate theory that could or should have curbed clear-cut phrases like “Caserio wants out of New England,” lest such a story be interpreted nationally as a report and not an opinionated column.

subroc 06-18-2019 01:32 PM

This is a clear example of why I loathe the media. They would ruin the harmony of a team, the "esprit de corp" if you will, for a meaningless nugget. If there isn't a nugget available, they will make one up. The media is full of malice.

OJ's Glove 06-18-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by subroc (Post 2593637)
This is a clear example of why I loathe the media. They would ruin the harmony of a team, the "esprit de corp" if you will, for a meaningless nugget. If there isn't a nugget available, they will make one up. The media is full of malice.


Volin's a particularly slimy, unethical snake. And dangerously stupid, to boot.


Another successful employment search by the Globe.

Number Cruncher 06-18-2019 01:43 PM

How the hell does Volin get a job in this market. What? Manish Mehta not available.. ?

FUCK the Globe and anyone who reads it....

OJ's Glove 06-18-2019 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Number Cruncher (Post 2593639)
How the hell does Volin get a job in this market.


Because Volin is doing exactly what his bosses want him to do. They don't care if they're hated and mocked, only that you're paying attention.

Dwight Schrute 06-18-2019 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OJ's Glove (Post 2593640)
Because Volin is doing exactly what his bosses want him to do. They don't care if they're hated and mocked, only that you're paying attention.

I like to believe my steadfast refusal to click ESPN links played a minute role in the slaughter over there.

It’ll work here too if we just stop paying attention to the tool.

Roberto71 06-18-2019 03:13 PM

I think Mike Reiss is so far ahead of the rest of the Boston jackal pack, it's not even funny. What's more, Reiss also seems like a genuinely decent guy as well.

There's a reason why he gets far more in-depth interviews with players and staff, they trust him.

Patriots71 06-18-2019 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bideau (Post 2593633)
I'm shocked, shocked I tell ya....

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We had <a href="https://twitter.com/BenVolin?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@BenVolin</a> on the show today <a href="https://twitter.com/SportsRadio610?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SportsRadio610</a>, and he made it clear that his piece about Caserio is his OPINION, not a report. It’s being aggregated as a report of fact everywhere. Not the case. <a href="https://t.co/w9CZ4D4jNL">https://t.co/w9CZ4D4jNL</a></p>&mdash; Sean Pendergast (@SeanTPendergast) <a href="https://twitter.com/SeanTPendergast/status/1140797043054665731?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 18, 2019</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The ‘Nick Caserio Wants Out’ Report Was Not A Report At All; It Was Opinion




Not one time in his story did he say it was his opinion or what he thought, he reported it as fact. Then again that is media. Report things as if they are fact and then say its an opinion piece later. Volin does that and so do many others.

PumpDee 06-19-2019 08:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriots71 (Post 2593650)
Not one time in his story did he say it was his opinion or what he thought, he reported it as fact. Then again that is media. Report things as if they are fact and then say its an opinion piece later. Volin does that and so do many others.

Or go with the old standby "unnamed source". I'm surprised he didn't just use that in the article.

EasyBigFella 06-19-2019 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberto71 (Post 2593647)
I think Mike Reiss is so far ahead of the rest of the Boston jackal pack, it's not even funny. What's more, Reiss also seems like a genuinely decent guy as well.

There's a reason why he gets far more in-depth interviews with players and staff, they trust him.

Reiss is a "company guy". For a guy who is that close to the team, when was the last time he broke a story? NBC Sports Boston having certified clown John Tomase to discuss the Caserio story was hilarious, too.

Dwight Schrute 06-19-2019 10:19 AM

Thomase is trying to come off polished lately. Hair done. New suits.

Pearls on a pig.

You mean to tell me this top media market can’t cull nationally with qualified people? Danielle Trotta is a good example. Instead of Thomasshole. Reimer. Ordway. Tanguay. Ugh!

patswin 06-19-2019 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hawg73 (Post 2593598)

The day the Boston Globe goes out of business I'm going to celebrate.

I share your sentiment on the Globe. But they’ll have to piss through a ton of John Henry’s money before they disappear. Sadly.

Dwight Schrute 06-19-2019 02:34 PM

Shank was on yesterday 98.5.

Beetle said something to the effect of The Daily Mail being the only source that’ll run with where the Ortiz story news was taking them. You could hear the insufferable tone in Shanks voice and his little clipped quiffs he resorts to when he’s upset.

Beetle started going on about the mistresses Lexus. Shanks in the background: ”Was it validated?”
Beetle decided to have fun with it(I thought he’d cower): “What? What would you like Dan? A receipt?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, in fact we do. We have a photo of the bank check from Ortiz in the amount of $84500 with a memo saying “vehicle purchase”. Well, don’t you know.(snickering)”

Shanks was not happy.

Schrute was.

mikiemo83 06-19-2019 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute (Post 2593718)
Shank was on yesterday 98.5.

Beetle said something to the effect of The Daily Mail being the only source that’ll run with where the Ortiz story news was taking them. You could hear the insufferable tone in Shanks voice and his little clipped quiffs he resorts to when he’s upset.

Beetle started going on about the mistresses Lexus. Shanks in the background: ”Was it validated?”
Beetle decided to have fun with it(I thought he’d cower): “What? What would you like Dan? A receipt?”

“Yeah.”

“Well, in fact we do. We have a photo of the bank check from Ortiz in the amount of $84500 with a memo saying “vehicle purchase”. Well, don’t you know.(snickering)”

Shanks was not happy.

Schrute was.

Mikie too!!!

spacecrime 06-19-2019 09:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patswin (Post 2593712)
they’ll have to piss through a ton of John Henry’s money before they disappear. Sadly.

No, I'm satisfied if they piss away of ton of his money before disappearing. he mare the better.

BostonTim 06-19-2019 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecrime (Post 2593732)
he mare the better.

A he mare is called a stallion, iirc.

spacecrime 06-19-2019 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonTim (Post 2593734)
A he mare is called a stallion, iirc.

That would explain the lyrics, Stand by your mare, and show the world you love HIM...

mikiemo83 06-20-2019 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spacecrime (Post 2593735)
That would explain the lyrics, Stand by your mare, and show the world you love HIM...

I was dancing the Neigh neigh while reading that.

PumpDee 06-20-2019 07:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikiemo83 (Post 2593744)
I was dancing the Neigh neigh while reading that.

Quit :donkeys:.




:coffee:

mikiemo83 06-20-2019 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PumpDee (Post 2593760)
Quit :donkeys:.




:coffee:

no more horsing around, the Rodeo Clown has spoken!

subroc 06-20-2019 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BostonTim (Post 2593734)
A he mare is called a stallion, iirc.


Not in the land of the woke. Who knows what they are called there?

spacecrime 06-20-2019 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikiemo83 (Post 2593744)
I was dancing the Neigh neigh while reading that.

Nah nah nah nah, [eat] hay hay
Good-bye

bideau 06-20-2019 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
:huh:

.

BostonTim 06-20-2019 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bideau (Post 2593788)
:huh:

.

I think I can explain it. As we know, progressivism has moved into the animal kingdom and Spaceballs went and brought a he mare to our party and it seems it just fell apart from there.

Cheers


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective owners. Patriots Planet is not affiliated with the NFL or with the New England Patriots. The views and opinions on this forum do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the owners and/or operators of this forum and website.