Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Politics and Religion Forum (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   NFL proposing plan to incentivize minority hiring with draft position (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=76508)

HSanders 05-15-2020 02:37 PM

NFL proposing plan to incentivize minority hiring with draft position

:facepalm:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...raft-position/

Commissioner Roger Goodell admitted during Super Bowl week that more needed to be done to create opportunities for minority coach and General Manager candidates.

Now, he’s going to do something about it, perhaps including draft incentives for teams.

According to Jim Trotter of NFL Network, the league will present a pair of resolutions at Tuesday’s virtual meeting to try to create more movement.

The first would remove the barrier that prevents assistants under contract with a team to interview for “bona fide” coordinator jobs with other teams, with Goodell reserving the right to determine if it’s an actual coordinator role.

The other, more revolutionary idea, would allow teams to improve their draft position by hiring minority candidates.

Under the proposal, a team that hires a minority head coach would move up six spots in the third round of the following year’s draft. Hiring a minority for the top personnel job would create a 10-spot improvement. Ostensibly a team that hired a minority coach and G.M. would see their third-round pick improve by 16 slots in draft order.

Also, a team’s fourth-round pick would improve by five spots in the coach or G.M.’s third year.

Hiring a minority candidate as a quarterbacks coach would bring a team a compensatory fourth-round pick.

If a minority assistant became a coordinator elsewhere, his old team would get a fifth-round compensatory pick. Losing a minority coach head coach or G.M. would bring the old team a third-round compensatory pick.

Whether a few spots in draft order or an extra mid-round pick would change things fundamentally remains to be seen. It’s also unclear whether owners — who generally make big changes slowly — will go for it.

Last year, only one of five head coaching jobs was filled by a minority, leaving the league at status quo since Ron Rivera was fired by Carolina and hired by Washington. That kept the league at four minority coaches, along with Mike Tomlin, Anthony Lynn, and Brian Flores. When the Browns named Andrew Berry G.M., he doubled the number of minorities in those jobs (joining Chris Grier in Miami).

Dwight Schrute 05-15-2020 02:45 PM

I’m close to walking away from this insanity

HSanders 05-15-2020 02:52 PM

So, what IS a minority anyway?
It's funny , back in the days of slavery you were considered black if you had even 1/16 black blood. And that was used AGAINST you! Now you can get preferential hiring even if you are half or more white. As long as you "look" the part, I guess? Unless they are requiring DNA tests as proof.
BOTH ideas are wrong!
The NFL as meritocracy train started leaving the station with the Rooney rule, continued with the forcing of Michael Sam on teams, and Kaepernick's NFL scheduled workout. Now this may happen.

Baron Samedi 05-15-2020 03:06 PM

The Empire of idiocy. This is a dumb idea on a level that I can't even express.

If they want to have an affirmative action plan, which I oppose by the way, but in the interest of doing it more intelligently and less stupidly if it's inevitable...all you have to do is have the League pay the salaries of all of your minority coaches and trainers. If you hire a minority, the League pays the salary.

No affirmative action impact on the field or with the franchise, just the pocketbook.

I mean, I'm not looking to force any kind of racial quotas on the football team, either. If 26% or whatever of society is minority...does that mean I want a 74% white football team?!?! NO!! I don't care if they are all black, all white, or all purple...I don't care. I just want talent. I couldn't care less about skin color or ethnicity or religion or anything else.

I'll let you in on a little secret. I don't even like Tom Brady. He's too California Hippy Tree Hugger Surfing dude for my taste...I try to avoid all things Brady off the filed because just can't abide the California Hippy dude persona.

I only care about on the field. I love Tom Brady on field, as a QB, as a football player. I don't care if he is black, white, or some California Hippy moron...I don't care.

I don't care if Robert Kraft got his rocks off with a bunch of oriental prostitutes, either, so long as they are not victims of human trafficking.

I apply this across the board. I don't care. Just be an asset to the team. You can be a Martian for all I care.

Dwight Schrute 05-15-2020 03:16 PM

Schrute shall revise Goodells plan:

Hire a black and move up 6 spots in next years 3rd.

A female and get a free 3rd.

A Chinese? Well now! You just earned a 2nd my friend!

A sherpa straight from Nepal!!! Two 1sts in subsequent years.

All hail diversity!!!!

HSanders 05-15-2020 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Samedi (Post 2649772)

I'll let you in on a little secret. I don't even like Tom Brady. He's too California Hippy Tree Hugger Surfing dude for my taste...I try to avoid all things Brady off the filed because just can't abide the California Hippy dude persona.

He's married to a hellafied limousine liberal. Around the election, he said, when he was confronted with his relationship with Trump, that he would "tell us later" who he voted for? But La Giz put to kibosh on it, telling him not to discuss politics or whatever. Like he's a two year old. You think she would have shushed him if he voted for Hillary? Nope. I loathe her deeply. But he's a grown man and he chooses that life. :shrug:

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute (Post 2649775)

All hail diversity!!!!

Another neutral word that extreme leftists have taken over and politicized.

I work somewhere that is cash strapped to the tune of our possibly having to take pay cuts, not getting raises, hiring freeze when we are already understaffed, etc. BUT OF COURSE WE HAVE A HIGHLY COMPENSATED VP OF DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION. I bet there is or soon will be a college degree called "diversity and inclusion". I remember wayyyy back in the day when I was in college, one of my friends was taking "Women's Studies" and I thought THAT was absurd.

KontradictioN 05-15-2020 03:41 PM

I hope to God they shoot this down. Anyone with a backbone would shit on that latter suggestion. Sure, instead of just admitting that the Rooney Rule is useless and a complete failure and/or minority coaches just aren't on the level of white head coaches in the year 2020, force this ridiculousness down peoples' throats.

foobahl 05-15-2020 03:49 PM

All anyone needs to know about this is that it is in the P + R forum.

KontradictioN 05-15-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foobahl (Post 2649779)
All anyone needs to know about this is that it is in the P + R forum.

Yeah. Because they're trying to cure supposed racism with some actual racism. :thumb:

foobahl 05-15-2020 03:56 PM

If I could get a Microsoft Tablet to be the best coach for my team I would do it. But you know it would just crash after game 3.

BostonTim 05-15-2020 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dwight Schrute (Post 2649767)
Iím close to walking away from this insanity

Can I come too?

Cheers

Dwight Schrute 05-16-2020 11:20 AM

Climb on the bus Tim

Beaglebay 05-17-2020 05:18 AM

Let's just replace Goodell with a minority of any flavor and call it a day.

AnOldTroll 05-17-2020 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HSanders (Post 2649769)
So, what IS a minority anyway?

The NFL as meritocracy train started leaving the station with the Rooney rule,

Great. blame it all on the Steelers.... :coffee:

HSanders 05-18-2020 04:00 PM

They upped Rooney Rule requirements to include coordinators, and added another candudate for HC.
https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...ty-candidates/

NFL expands Rooney Rule, requires more interviews of minority candidates

Posted by Michael David Smith on May 18, 2020, 4:23 PM EDT

The NFL is expanding the Rooney Rule.

The Rooney Rule, which was established in 2003, has always required teams to interview at least one minority for any head coaching vacancy. Now Tom Pelissero of NFL Network reports that the NFL is immediately changing the Rooney Rule, requiring teams to interview at least two external minority candidates for all head coach openings.

Additionally, teams will now be required to interview at least one minority candidate for any coordinator job.

Still to be determined is whether the NFL will adopt a proposal that would give teams better draft picks if they hired minority head coaches or general managers. That proposal will be voted on at the upcoming owners’ meeting.