Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards

Patriots Planet - New England Patriots Forums and Message Boards (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Politics and Religion Forum (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Thoughts on Kavanaugh? (http://www.patriotsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=74994)

PatsFan09 07-09-2018 08:08 PM

Thoughts on Kavanaugh?

Iím at a conference, so I havenít had much time to read up on him. Initial thoughts ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coltsfan2theend 07-09-2018 08:22 PM

No idea on him but a few democrats already said they would not vote for any pick trump put up no matter what.

PatsFanLisa 07-09-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFan09 (Post 2527602)
I’m at a conference, so I haven’t had much time to read up on him. Initial thoughts ?

He was chosen for one reason: he has written that a sitting president should not have the distraction of an investigation because he needs to do his job and it's bad for the country, having said this after working on the Ken Starr investigation.

Other than that, he's a brilliant man, a good man, and is heavily religious.

PatsFanLisa 07-09-2018 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coltsfan2theend (Post 2527603)
No idea on him but a few democrats already said they would not vote for any pick trump put up no matter what.

As well they shouldn't after the hijacking of a seat on the bench for 11 months by McConnell.

PSC_Pats_Fan 07-09-2018 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFanLisa (Post 2527609)
He was chosen for one reason: he has written that a sitting president should not have the distraction of an investigation because he needs to do his job and it's bad for the country, having said this after working on the Ken Starr investigation.

Other than that, he's a brilliant man, a good man, and is heavily religious.

Heavily religious? Great... :rolleyes: Just what this country needs.. More religion in the government. :facepalm:

PatsFanLisa 07-09-2018 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSC_Pats_Fan (Post 2527611)

Heavily religious? Great... :rolleyes: Just what this country needs.. More religion in the government. :facepalm:

Well, not an evangelical.

---------- Post added at 11:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:00 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFanLisa (Post 2527612)

Well, not an evangelical.

Kavanaugh:

"The Constitution establishes a clear mechanism to deter executive malfeasance [impeachment]; we should not burden a sitting President with civil suits, criminal investigations, or criminal prosecutions."

Mark_Henderson 07-09-2018 11:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)

TommyD420 07-10-2018 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFan09 (Post 2527602)
Iím at a conference, so I havenít had much time to read up on him. Initial thoughts ?

It's as good as we can expect under the present circumstances.

He's not a raving 'flouride-in-the-water-is-a-communist-plot' lunatic, and he's not a Dominionist whack-job (Can't confirm whether he's Opus Dei or not, so he's probably not).

His opinions show a hard-core conservative, but he's not insane. So take that for what its worth. He actually knows the law and follows it.

It could have been Judge Fucking Judy or something, so there's that.

benhamean 07-10-2018 05:13 AM

Has the prerequisite obsequiousness, a la Dr. Rony Jackson:

ďNo president has ever consulted more widely or talked to more people from more backgrounds to seek input for a Supreme Court nomination.Ē

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Muse 07-10-2018 05:27 AM

Thanks for the thread. I also have not had the time to check out the picks let alone this one.

Baron Samedi 07-10-2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFanLisa (Post 2527612)
Kavanaugh:

"The Constitution establishes a clear mechanism to deter executive malfeasance [impeachment]; we should not burden a sitting President with civil suits, criminal investigations, or criminal prosecutions."

Exactly right.

You have to impeach the president first, then convict him for removal from office, then you can charge him with whatever crimes you want.

The law is pretty clear, despite a lot of efforts by "experts" to obfuscate it.

EDIT: No particular opinion on the pick yet. I did like his commentary that the judges should rule by statute, and by the Constitution.....meaning that judges should rule on what the law says, not whether they like it or waht they think it should say.

Having said that, I believe Kavanaugh might have some history of creating principles within statues that aren't there....so I am neutral at this point, tending toward favoring.

PatsFanLisa 07-10-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Samedi (Post 2527631)
Exactly right.

You have to impeach the president first, then convict him for removal from office, then you can charge him with whatever crimes you want.

The law is pretty clear, despite a lot of efforts by "experts" to obfuscate it.

His comment also says "civil suits", not just criminal matters for which he could be convicted. At this time, this president has numerous civil suits pending. Should he be protected from those, also?

I do not believe he should be. Why should those civil plaintiffs aggrieved have to wait until he's either impeached or done with his position?

And criminal investigations? There is nothing in the Constitution protecting him from being investigated. If there is indication of any wrongdoing while he's sitting, he must be investigated. That is how impeachment proceedings would come forth.

Baron Samedi 07-10-2018 08:12 AM

Noone said anything about how a president shouldn't be investigated, as far as I know.

EDIT: I would even go so far as to say that ALL presdients should be subjected to an independant special prosecutor investigatoin, just as a matter of principle. I want all politicians to feel like they are going through a colonoscopy, every day. I would like nothing better than to see a half dozen politicans and a president get tossed into jail, literally, for pulling the tags off of their mattresses, or watering their lawn during a water shortage. Right the fuck in jail, for any little violation. Those that make laws, should be automatically investigated and punished tenfold for violation of any law more than the common citizen.
I'm not joking. They want to write 50,000 fucking punishable laws and regulations....any violation of any single such law or regulation on their behalf should be an automatic, unreduceable prison sentence. Then, maybe they will stick to laws and regulations that are "necessary" only.
Yup, you hired that illegal immigrant to water your plants? Have fun in prison for the next 5 years, Mr. Romney. Fuck you. Next candidate, please!

PatsFanLisa 07-10-2018 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Samedi (Post 2527636)
Noone said anything about how a president shouldn't be investigated, as far as I know.

I'll post his quote again:

Kavanaugh:

BostonTim 07-10-2018 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PatsFanLisa (Post 2527610)
As well they shouldn't after the hijacking of a seat on the bench for 11 months by McConnell.

Politically I hope I'm wrong, but the part about sparing the president from investigations could very well give the left leverage to tie this up through the midterms. If the left gets a normal (and expected?) mid-term bump , they could well be in a position to defeat the appointment out right.

Cheers