PDA

View Full Version : Jamarcus Russel Released

PumpDee
05-06-2010, 05:04 PM
Way to go Al Davis!!!!!!!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/oakland-raiders-release-jamarcus-russell-050610

midgar8784
05-06-2010, 05:06 PM
Yeah it seems completing 38% of your passes does not let you keep your job anymore as a QB.

PumpDee
05-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Yeah it seems completing 38% of your passes does not let you keep your job anymore as a QB.

We can officially put him in the "NFL Bust" category now. :archive:

HarpoonIPA
05-06-2010, 05:40 PM
I bet if he goes North he will suck in the CFL as well

foobahl
05-06-2010, 05:54 PM
I wonder if he can rush the passer

OSUBuckeye
05-06-2010, 06:01 PM
We can officially put him in the "NFL Bust" category now. :archive:

I'm not sure.

The reason I say that is because NO team other than the raiders had him on their board as a 1st round pick let alone the #1 overall pick. Sure Russel was lazy & didn't make the most of his oppurtunity. But I put the blame soley on Oakland & Al Davis.

Davis fell in love with a big guy that could throw a football 100 yards through a brick wall. Problem was he couldn't hit a brick wall. Same problem he had at LSU. Russel's stock rose with Davis when he tore up a very bad ND team in the sugar bowl. Apprently Davis didn't take into account that ND didn't have a clue how to play D.

I'm not saying that Russel is completely faultless but every team except Oakland knew he was a major project that never should have left college after his Jr. year.

chevss454
05-06-2010, 06:04 PM
What's funny (and ironic) about this is that Russell's first year stats were actually better than Sanchez's.

Another thing: from their rookie years.
A: 15 198/368 53.8% 2423 6.6YPA 13TD 8INT 77.1QBR Jamarcus Russell
B: 16 196/364 53.8% 2444 6.7YPA 12TD 20INT 63.0QBR. Sanchez

And Jets fans think Sanchez will lead them to a Super Bowl victory!

:shrug:ROFL

zeke mowatt
05-06-2010, 06:46 PM
Jamarcus just needs more time to figure $hit out...............

midgar8784
05-06-2010, 06:49 PM
Jamarcus just needs more time to figure $hit out...............

He needs to figure out how to sell insurance, football is not his thing.

king of kings
05-06-2010, 06:55 PM
A $60 Million bust. I like to see how he plays for another team. Some people at my Job still like him. They said he was struck in a bad offense with No play makers around him.

chevss454
05-06-2010, 07:24 PM
Another thing: from their rookie years.

A: 15 198/368 53.8% 2423 6.6YPA 13TD 8INT 77.1QBR Jamarcus Russell
B: 16 196/364 53.8% 2444 6.7YPA 12TD 20INT 63.0QBR. Sanchez

Grumpy_Bottom
05-06-2010, 08:25 PM
A $60 Million bust. I like to see how he plays for another team. Some people at my Job still like him. They said he was struck in a bad offense with No play makers around him.
Apparently they weren't actually watching him play. Russell can't his the broad side of a barn from 10 yards. With that said, it's possible a good qb technique coach could cure him of the yips that absolutely ruin his game. If a guy has more than a 1 foot window and looks open, Russell yips it and throws it 10' over his head or in the dirt. But he looks to be able to wing it in for the hard throws, which suggests that when he's not overthinking it, he has a shot at being ok. With that said, his head and his work ethic suggest that it'll take a minor miracle for that to happen. I'm counting down the days until he signs with Cinci.

king of kings
05-06-2010, 08:32 PM
Apparently they weren't actually watching him play. Russell can't his the broad side of a barn from 10 yards. With that said, it's possible a good qb technique coach could cure him of the yips that absolutely ruin his game. If a guy has more than a 1 foot window and looks open, Russell yips it and throws it 10' over his head or in the dirt. But he looks to be able to wing it in for the hard throws, which suggests that when he's not overthinking it, he has a shot at being ok. With that said, his head and his work ethic suggest that it'll take a minor miracle for that to happen. I'm counting down the days until he signs with Cinci.

I guessing the Bills or the Steelers.

Hawg73
05-06-2010, 08:37 PM

Yup, he is terrically inaccurate, but at least some of that stems from the fact that he is one unbelieveably lazy football player and after the Raiders gave him 40M+ in GUARANTEED money there was really no reason for him to bother working at it.

He's rich, fat and lazy and that is no way to be a good NFL QB.

I can remember being in total disbelief at what they ended up giving him, but never in my wildest dreams did I imagine he would be this bad of a player. Bad? Sure, but not this bad.

He's the worst draft pick in NFL history, considering the dough. The worst. Ryan Leaf is off the schnide now.

TGIASM
05-06-2010, 08:52 PM
Somewhere in rehab, Ryan Leaf is breathing a sigh of relief.

mikiemo83
05-06-2010, 09:55 PM
he is the reason the nfl wants a rookie cap

anderson
05-06-2010, 10:01 PM
Like a person more clever than I said: Time to buy shares in Ben and Jerry.

Stevo
05-06-2010, 10:15 PM
this does not help our first round pick

zeke mowatt
05-06-2010, 10:40 PM
He needs to figure out how to sell insurance, football is not his thing.

Why? the dudes a multi millionaire. With three or four mill still guaranteed. Assuming he's not a complete idiot, he's all set.

grog
05-06-2010, 11:26 PM
Why that was a quick release. I had heard his problem was a slow release?

TGIASM
05-07-2010, 01:09 AM
Why? the dudes a multi millionaire. With three or four mill still guaranteed. Assuming he's not a complete idiot, he's all set.

:coffee:

Those big shiny things in his ears is all that I needed to see.

Ras
05-07-2010, 01:52 AM
Ryan Leaf is off the schnide now.

chevss454
05-07-2010, 06:11 AM
JaMarcus Russell likely will get another chance

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2010 5:33 PM ET
Now that the Raiders have cut ties with quarterback JaMarcus Russell, the question becomes whether another team will give Russell a chance to fulfill the potential that made him the first overall pick in the 2007 draft.

Surely, someone will. Every coach thinks that he's the coach who'll get through to a player who, for whatever reason, has been a failure.

And every first-round bust who washes out with his first NFL team gets another chance, somewhere. Ryan Leaf did. Akili Smith did. J.P. Losman did.

Also, assuming that the Raiders wanted Russell to take a pay cut, his agents were in position to shop the bottom-line offer. Though it would have been tampering, it happens all the time.

The cruelest irony, from the Raiders' perspective, would be for Russell to finally take his career seriously in a new city, and to finally become a great player. Like Eagles coach Buddy Ryan cutting Cris Carter 20 years ago to send him a clear message, Russell may finally wake up and dedicate himself to becoming the best player he can be.

Or not. It won't be easy for Russell, but surely there's at least one coach out there who thinks he can do a better job than Lane Kiffin or Tom Cable did with a player who has an All-Pro arm, but a Pop Warner work ethic.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/06/jamarcus-russell-likely-will-get-another-chance/

foley11
05-07-2010, 07:06 AM
Seems like just yesterday.

<object style="height: 344px; width: 425px;">

<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ZubYpplmzVk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowscriptaccess="always" width="425" height="344"></object>

babalu87
05-07-2010, 08:04 AM
JaMarcus Russell likely will get another chance

Posted by Mike Florio on May 6, 2010 5:33 PM ET

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2010/05/06/jamarcus-russell-likely-will-get-another-chance/

Its official

My daughter knows more about football than Mike Florio

Hawg, you are correct sir
Somewhere Ryan Leaf was rejoicing

TheBostonJay
05-07-2010, 08:26 AM
He got $40 mil to suck.

Delhomme is getting $20 mil to suck.

I feel like I'm in the wrong profession sometimes.

nickw8810
05-07-2010, 11:19 AM
I was always hoping JaMarcus would make it, just for the sole reason that I played against him in high school (where it seemed like he was a harder worker than when he got into the NFL) The talent is still there, but just like everyone said the maturity and work ethic is not. Hopefully for his sake this is the wake up call he needed to get his career and life on track, but unfortunately, I don't think the odds are in his favor.

harrisonhits
05-07-2010, 11:29 AM
Russell will now gradually eat his millions and eventually end up at 980 pounds unable to leave his bed without a lift to get him out of it.

EasyGlumFella
05-07-2010, 11:42 AM
Will he be considered the "greatest NFL bust of all-time"? He has to be up there.

midgar8784
05-07-2010, 11:50 AM
Will he be considered the "greatest NFL bust of all-time"? He has to be up there.

For the Money and the pick, I would have to say yes.

OSUBuckeye
05-07-2010, 12:42 PM

Maybe so but I have to put Ki-Jana Carter & Akili Smith right up there with him. I might even throw in Heath Shuler.

As for where Russell might end up if he ever plays agian the Saints could be that team. He would be back home, would be able to sit & learn behind one of the beat qb's in the game & Sean Payton just might be able to whip the boy in shape. It's all on Russell now. If he contiues to be lazy as far as conditioning & in the classroom he might as well pack it in.

grog
05-07-2010, 12:45 PM

I would go with Ryan Leaf for that honor.

Jaric
05-07-2010, 12:48 PM
I would go with Ryan Leaf for that honor.
The reason Leaf will probably always hold the top spot, is because of all the debate about him vs Manning. Russell probably sucked worse than Leaf did, but he'll just be another Akili Smith because there is no Manning character to make the pick look even worse.

midgar8784
05-07-2010, 01:30 PM
The reason Leaf will probably always hold the top spot, is because of all the debate about him vs Manning. Russell probably sucked worse than Leaf did, but he'll just be another Akili Smith because there is no Manning character to make the pick look even worse.

Leaf would have been fine if the colts took him.:coffee:

OSUBuckeye
05-07-2010, 01:46 PM

Well there certainly would not have been a colts-pats rivalry. This board sure would look a whole lot different

Jaric
05-07-2010, 02:01 PM
Yeah, cause Jeff George worked out so well the first go around.

OSUBuckeye
05-07-2010, 02:27 PM

Art Schlichter:coffee:

Jaric
05-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Art Schlichter:coffee:
Yeah yeah.

And don't forget Elway. We drafted him too until he Eli'ed us.

midgar8784
05-07-2010, 03:05 PM

George was not drafted when leaf came out, Manning was.

Jaric
05-07-2010, 03:10 PM
George was not drafted when leaf came out, Manning was.
:insane:

Is this a serious post?

I mean, of all the people on this forum, I should know when we drafted the beta version of Ryan Leaf.

TGIASM
05-07-2010, 04:31 PM
He got $40 mil to suck.

Delhomme is getting $20 mil to suck.

I feel like I'm in the wrong profession sometimes.

How much does Jenna Jameson get paid to suck? :coffee:

TGIASM
05-07-2010, 04:33 PM
Ryan Leaf is off the schnide now.

That picture was taken at Fred's strip joint in Missoula. Anni, you ever been to Fred's? :shrug:

OSUBuckeye
05-07-2010, 04:48 PM
How much does Jenna Jameson get paid to suck? :coffee:

This is the football forum. Take it to the 3RC.

TGIASM
05-07-2010, 04:51 PM
This is the football fourm. Take it to the 3RC.

There was a common theme there...:coffee:

ProvidenceColts
05-07-2010, 05:46 PM
:coffee:

Those big shiny things in his ears is all that I needed to see.

To be fair, he got a 24 on his Wonderlic. That's better than Mr. Intangibles Tim Tebow and about three times as good as Vince Young.

Russell is lazy, but I've never heard of anyone saying he's stupid.

TGIASM
05-07-2010, 07:48 PM
To be fair, he got a 24 on his Wonderlic. That's better than Mr. Intangibles Tim Tebow and about three times as good as Vince Young.

Russell is lazy, but I've never heard of anyone saying he's stupid.

LOL Almost forgot about Vince Young.

Is there a record of the worst Windowlickers (Wonderlic low scorers)?

TipRoast
05-07-2010, 07:59 PM
Just heard that the Federal Government is going to hire JaMarcus Russell.

They said he was too big to fail.

TGIASM
05-07-2010, 10:40 PM
Just heard that the Federal Government is going to hire JaMarcus Russell.

They said he was too big to fail.

Give him a stimulus package!!!! ASAP

mayoclinic
05-08-2010, 01:15 PM
CNNSI has a great blurb about Russell's pre-draft hype from 2007, with quotes from many draftniks and leage sources. It's hilarious.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/multimedia/photo_gallery/1005/nfl.jamarcus.russell.hype/content.1.html

Among the quotes:

- Todd McShay: "I can't remember being in such awe of a quarterback in my decade of attending combines and pro days. Russell's passing session was the most impressive of all the pro days I've been to. His footwork for such a big quarterback was surprising. He was nimble in his dropbacks, rolling out and throwing on the run. The ball just explodes out of his hands."

- Mel Kiper: "JaMarcus Russell is going to immediately energize that fanbase, that football team -- on the practice field, in that locker room. Three years from now you could be looking at a guy that's certainly one of the elite top five quarterbacks in this league. ...You're talking about a 2-3 year period once he's under center. Look out because the skill level that he has is certainly John Elway-like."

- Mike Mayock: "This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."

- Peter King: "I think JaMarcus Russell to the Raiders scares me. I would have done the exact same thing Oakland did, to be sure. But the formula for early success is a bad one there. So much pressure on him to perform well early, with such a porous offensive line, and who knows what at wideout."

- Pete Prisco: "He has a cannon for an arm, can make all the throws and has great size. Heck, he looks like a tackle playing quarterback. I just don't see the pinpoint passing, the great timing of the throws or his feel for the pocket. He's careless with the ball, at times, and he struggled against the better college defenses. Can he develop into a quality NFL quarterback? You bet. Would I take him with the first overall pick? No way. As of now, I have him rated at the 20th-best player."

chevss454
05-08-2010, 01:26 PM
Mayock hit it square on.

- Mike Mayock: "This year, I can't get over how good and talented JaMarcus Russell is. It just blew me away. If I had the first, second, third, fourth, fifth pick in that draft, I would be tearing apart his personal life trying to figure out whether or not I could trust this kid with $10-million ... From a physical skill set perspective, I've never seen a college quarterback with more ability than Russell. You put the tape on and it's frightening. The only thing that's going to keep [Russell] from being great is him. What it comes down to is you've got to figure out whether or not this kid wants to be the best quarterback in football. If he wants to be the best quarterback in football, he can be."

Russell's lack of motivation and his laziness did him in more than anything. "Money is the root of all evil" and in his case it was just too much for an immature kid to handle.

HSanders
05-08-2010, 03:11 PM
Tip...comment of the thread...ROFL.
I have read other debates on who was a bigger bust, Russell or Leaf and someone pointed out that Leaf should still be considered more of a bust simply because of what SD gave up to move up and get him. I can't say I disagree with that logic. I mean it's obvious that Russell got more money guaranteed than Leaf did but I don't think that can be as much of a factor due to the way the NFL is set up cap wise.

OopsWoops
05-09-2010, 12:30 AM
So over the last few years that I spent busting my *** in college to get a 35k job sometime in the future (if the labor market allows), JaMarcus got drafted first, collected enough money to sustain a Ludacris-type lifestyle for the rest of his life, AND managed to rid himself of the pressure and pain of actually playing football/having to work for his money.

Wow. When you look at it that way, he has been extraordinarily successful.

TheBostonJay
05-09-2010, 11:05 PM
So over the last few years that I spent busting my *** in college to get a 35k job sometime in the future (if the labor market allows), JaMarcus got drafted first, collected enough money to sustain a Ludacris-type lifestyle for the rest of his life, AND managed to rid himself of the pressure and pain of actually playing football/having to work for his money.

Exactly, the bust is smarter than all of us.

TipRoast
05-10-2010, 07:22 AM
There's more to life than amassing wealth.

The way I see it, he's a colossal failure as a professional football player, and it has nothing to do with how smart he is. He doesn't have the respect of his peers, he has no accomplishments at the professional level, and he has no discernible future prospects.

I don't possess anything close to the money he has been given, but I wouldn't trade places with him.

HSanders
05-10-2010, 09:45 AM
He has money now but I bet he will piss it all away. JaMarcus will be in a van by the river in 5 years.

twentytothree
05-10-2010, 11:52 AM

Did Russell have any significant endorsement deals? I don't know how NFL salaries are structured, but after agent fees and taxes, how much would he see from Oaklands $39million? $20m or so? If that's his lifetime income, it would afford him a nice upper-middle class lifestyle, with kids in private school, a nice house, a vacation home and trips in business class. Annuitized, that's what a successful lawyer, doctor, consultant or (mid-level) investment banker would make.

$20m does not buy him a lifetime of Bentleys, fur coats and private jets. If he's not broke by the time he's 30, then I'll concede he may be smarter than us.

TGIASM
05-10-2010, 11:52 PM
Mayock hit it square on.

Russell's lack of motivation and his laziness did him in more than anything. "Money is the root of all evil" and in his case it was just too much for an immature kid to handle.

Actually, it's the LOVE of money that is bad...but, I can't believe that Prisco was actually right about something. Thats the REAL shocker.

TGIASM
05-10-2010, 11:54 PM

Yeah, but, everywhere he goes, he will be just like a side circus show. "Isn't that the biggest bust in the NFL?" Whispers everywhere.

That kind of life would SUCK. Yeah, it would belong in the SUCK thread.

TGIASM
05-10-2010, 11:57 PM

All college teaches you (unless it's a TOP business school), is how to work for other people/companies.

Become an entrepreneur...so you can be the boss. :coffee:

TGIASM
05-10-2010, 11:58 PM
Tip...comment of the thread...ROFL.
I have read other debates on who was a bigger bust, Russell or Leaf and someone pointed out that Leaf should still be considered more of a bust simply because of what SD gave up to move up and get him. I can't say I disagree with that logic. I mean it's obvious that Russell got more money guaranteed than Leaf did but I don't think that can be as much of a factor due to the way the NFL is set up cap wise.

Nah, Russell is 1A. Leaf is 1B.

HSanders
05-11-2010, 12:43 PM
CHFF's take:
http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Articles/11_3207_JaMarcus_vs._history's__No._1_QBs.html

harrisonhits
05-11-2010, 01:40 PM
<<
everywhere he goes, he will be just like a side circus show. "Isn't that the biggest bust in the NFL?" Whispers everywhere.
>>

And with the money he has he can laugh at the people laughing at him all the way to the bank. He'll be flying 1st class, staying in 5 star hotels, driving a Ferrari or whatever else he might want, while many of the laughers will be flying economy, staying at the Holiday Inn and driving their Chevy.

I'd be more than happy to trade places with him.

HSanders
05-11-2010, 05:24 PM
ROFL

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/05/jamarcus-russells-raiders-career-in-pictures.html#more-26665

patriots pam
05-11-2010, 06:00 PM
ROFL

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/05/jamarcus-russells-raiders-career-in-pictures.html#more-26665

ROFL

Okay, I'll play! Sending this one in...let's see if they post it! :D

http://i823.photobucket.com/albums/zz152/pam_sez/jamarcuswhileromeburns.jpg

HSanders
05-12-2010, 09:34 AM
LOVE it PP!!!!!!

mikiemo83
05-12-2010, 12:54 PM
Yeah, but, everywhere he goes, he will be just like a side circus show. "Isn't that the biggest bust in the NFL?" Whispers everywhere.

That kind of life would SUCK. Yeah, it would belong in the SUCK thread.no those belong to Terrence Cody

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__8_FYmYcJ9I/S2gS46c_L_I/AAAAAAAABMs/uUj3rn9HBAA/s640/terrence-cody-weigh-in.jpg

patriots pam
05-14-2010, 12:12 PM
It's kind of hard to type this now that mikiemo has burned my eyeballs out with that Cody pic :crying: but...my Jamarcus pic made the KSK blog!

http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/2010/05/jamarcus-russells-raiders-career-in-pictures-2-0-reader-submissions.html#more-26724

I'm somebody now!!!!!!!!!! :D

Oh, and some other people got theirs posted which I guess are funny, too. ;)

HSanders
05-14-2010, 12:38 PM
Girl... I was just coming here to bump this because I saw yours made it. CONGRATS!
:toast:

Those moutheyes pics...creepy yet fascinating, eh?

harrisonhits
05-14-2010, 12:49 PM
The one with "They're happy because they eat lard" is killin' me ROFL

patriots pam
05-14-2010, 12:52 PM
Girl... I was just coming here to bump this because I saw yours made it. CONGRATS!
:toast:

Awww..thanks! :)

Those moutheyes pics...creepy yet fascinating, eh?

Yes and yes. :D I think the Hindenburg one is probably the best. Love the one with the lard too, though. For some reason it's making me giggle like crazy. I think it's cause he's shrunk down to a little fat baby that does it. ROFL

HSanders
05-14-2010, 12:57 PM
Think of how many they got and yours made it! W00t! You know this means I'll be bugging you anytime they have a photoshop contest. :D
I agree the Hindenburg one is to laugh. Of course it helps that I love the word "dirigible".

clubtothehead
05-14-2010, 10:19 PM
I'm shocked that Skeletor had the Nads to cut him

TGIASM
05-14-2010, 11:07 PM
no those belong to Terrence Cody

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/__8_FYmYcJ9I/S2gS46c_L_I/AAAAAAAABMs/uUj3rn9HBAA/s640/terrence-cody-weigh-in.jpg

He has a glandular problem...:cool:

TGIASM
05-14-2010, 11:10 PM
http://kissingsuzykolber.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/jamarcus2McFatty.jpg (http://cdn.ksk.uproxx.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/jamarcus2McFatty.jpg)

Don't eat here...you'll look like this.