PDA

View Full Version : ESPN, Prediction Roundup...Interesting Blog

PatsFanLisa
10-24-2008, 11:03 AM
From Eric Wilbur at the Globe:

Posted by Eric Wilbur, Boston.com Staff October 24, 2008 09:32 AM
What other stories has ESPN been hiding?

In how many other scenarios has a Bristol editor fired off a similar missive to this one, regarding the Jay Glazer reported Brett Favre phantom call to the Lions?

As reported by Pro Football Weekly: "DO NOT REPORT....DO NOT REPORT....DO NOT REPORT....DO NOT REPORT," and it said, in part: "WE HAVE BEEN TOLD BY RELIABLE SOURCES THIS REPORT IS NOT TRUE. We did NOT report it yesterday. Today, the NFL responded to the report, saying even if Favre did this he did not break any league rules. We are NOT reporting it today, because that would mean airing the erroneous report."

Even if he did, you know…

Fast forward a few days, and here is ESPN, airing a report about Tom Brady’s infectious knee, claiming a “source” within the Patriots organization says the team is awfully upset with its star quarterback for getting the surgery performed on the Left Coast rather than right here in Boston. That prompted the Patriots to release the following statement:

"Today, ESPN cited an unnamed source who supposedly expressed the feelings of the Patriots ‘organization.’ This unsubstantiated report does not represent the team's views whatsoever. We have supported Tom Brady one hundred percent from day one of this process and will continue to do so. We issued a statement last Saturday expressing our complete organizational support for Tom. That support includes all aspects of the process. Unfortunately, our statement was not mentioned or referenced in ESPN’s report. Today, we reiterate our total support for Tom as he recovers from his injury."

Banner week for the WWL.

Back to PFW for a moment if we may. Mike Florio raises an interesting question regarding this whole matter:

We’re having trouble understanding the difference between the Favre story and the Boston Herald item regarding allegations that the Patriots had videotaped the Rams’ walk-through prior to Super Bowl XXXVI. ESPN couldn’t confirm the Walsh story. ESPN presumably brought “a lot of sensitivity” to the reporting. And ESPN presumably did what ESPN felt was the most responsible thing.
So why did they acknowledge the Walsh story and not the Favre story?

This is where ESPN’s infatuation with certain elements of sports gets in the way of, you know, reporting. The world (supposedly) loves Favre and would be devastated to hear the anointed did wrong. Everybody hates New England, so the more bad news, the better the ratings.

Meanwhile, you have to love Glazer’s response to the ESPN internal memo.

“What we should do as a result is start keeping score. If they want to talk about credibility, let’s keep score, starting from Week One of last year, and see who broke what, who was right and who was wrong. I don’t think they’d want that.”

One-luv.

Who they’re picking
Our roundup of pundit picks for this week's Rams-Patriots showdown:

Jim McCabe, Boston Globe: Rams. “Quick turnaround for Matt Cassel and the walking wounded as they take on one of the NFL's hottest teams. Hey, Marc Bulger, if you're looking for Torry Holt, he'll be hiding out near the sideline. I'm pretty sure "Big Game" still has nightmares about Tebucky Jones and Lawyer Milloy.”

Peter King, Sports Illustrated: Patriots 27, Rams 19. “I'm saving the headline writer at the St. Louis Post-Dispatch some time on the job Sunday night. Haslett Honeymoon: History. How's that? By the way, in case you missed my Tom Brady/Matt Cassel early-career comparison Tuesday, taking Brady's first six starts and measuring them against Cassel's first six professional games, here are a few good nuggets. Record: Brady 4-2, Cassel 4-2. Passing yards: Brady 1,105, Cassel 1,095. Completion rate: Brady .632, Cassel .663. Anyone else out there still want to consider Cassel doomed?”

ESPN.com staff: Only Chris Mortensen picks the Rams. (Of those who have picked)

Pete Prisco, CBS Sports: Patriots 30, Rams 17. “The Rams' bandwagon is full. It will empty some after this one. The Patriots are coming off a short week, which is to the Rams' advantage, but this is a tough spot for a young team. Jim Haslett has them playing well, but some of that wears off here.”

CBS Sports staff: Peter Madden picks the Rams vs. the spread. All others pick the Patriots.

Cold, Hard, Football Facts: Patriots 27, Rams 16. “Jim Haslett is undefeated as head coach of the Rams, with both wins coming against Quality Opponents (Washington and Dallas). He now goes for the hat trick versus a Patriots squad that demolished Denver on Monday night. St. Louis is still a bottom-10 team in almost every Stat That Matters, and New England typically plays well at home."

Vinnie Iyer, Sporting News: Patriots 30, Rams 13. “Will the Rams come up and bite another marquee East Coast playoff contender? Not likely, especially after the Patriots turned in a strong all-around performance against the Broncos last week. You can bet if he's healthy enough to play, the Patriots will do everything they can to take Steven Jackson out of the game first. The Rams, however, will struggle to keep Randy Moss and Wes Welker from being big factors.”

USA Today staff: Patriots across the board.

Yahoo! staff: Patriots across the board.

Peter Schrager, FOXSports.com: Rams 24, Patriots 17. “Is there a better name in football than BenJarvus Green-Ellis? Well, yes: O.J. Atogwe. Both will play significant roles on Sunday, where an inspired, Jim Haslett-led Rams squad wins its third straight and takes one from the banged-up Patriots in New England.”

Nancy Gay, San Francisco Chronicle: Patriots. “The switch to coach Jim Haslett has seen the Rams put together consecutive upsets over NFC favorites Washington and Dallas. But the Patriots' blowout win over the Broncos gives them major momentum.”

Sam Farmer, LA Times: Rams. “Tough as they are at home, the Patriots are coming off a short week and suffered a big loss when safety Rodney Harrison went down. They're ripe for the picking by the rejuvenated Rams.”

Ed Zieralski, San Diego Tribune: Patriots. “If Rams RB Steven Jackson is out, it's a no-doubter as Rams come back to earth.”

Our pick: Patriots 21, Rams 17. You thought Denver’s pass defense was nonexistent? Well, the Rams’ is a bit better, allowing 231.2 yards per game through the air as opposed to the Broncos’ 240, but it still predicts a recipe for Matt Cassel and Randy Moss to have another big afternoon together.

JD10367
10-24-2008, 11:06 AM
If the Rams are so bad, and the Pats are at home, and Jackson might be out (or, at best, limited)... why are they still only picking the Pats by 4?

Oh, wait, sorry. I shouldn't have posted that.

Whale penis! German tranny! Jehovah's Witnesses! Golf! Zombies! Thomas poll! Z, Brady is skinny! PP women can suck chrome off a trailer hitch!

Okay, I feel better now.

mikiemo83
10-24-2008, 11:10 AM
JD is this hijacked or just a humorous post?

I think Favre is a puke who took on the role of his new HCof the NYJ Mangini and became a snitch, a rat fink who deserves a shank in the ribs during pregame meal

so tell me is wishing death on Favre bad :D?

Claremonster
10-24-2008, 11:11 AM
If the Rams are so bad, and the Pats are at home, and Jackson might be out (or, at best, limited)... why are they still only picking the Pats by 4?

Whale penis! German tranny! Jehovah's Witnesses! Golf! Zombies! Thomas poll! Z, Brady is skinny! PP women can suck chrome off a trailer hitch!

Okay, I feel better now.

You have issues. :harumph:

But yeah, why only by 4?

PatsFanLisa
10-24-2008, 11:13 AM

Okay, I feel better now.

I think Favre is a puke who took on the role of his new HCof the NYJ Mangini and became a snitch, a rat fink who deserves a shank in the ribs during pregame meal

so tell me is wishing death on Favre bad :D?

Maybe you guys should have put a disclaimer up first. :D

mikiemo83
10-24-2008, 11:13 AM
Jackson plays and we have a hard time stopping the run, BB am missing the top 3 RB's and are playing a QB who needs RB help both running and picking up a blitz - sometihng I do not think Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is capable of yet so BB will deal a heavy dose of Kevin Faulk and Heath Evans

Claremonster
10-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Maybe you guys should have put a disclaimer up first. :D

JD better watch himself, or LW and I will make his life even MORE miserable.

Claremonster
10-24-2008, 11:15 AM
Jackson plays and we have a hard time stopping the run, am missing our top 3 RB's and are playing a QB who needs RB help both running and picking up a blitz - sometihng I do not think Ben Jarvis Green Ellis is capable of yet so BB will deal a heavy dose of Kevin Faulk and Heath Evans

Yeah, Faulk certainly. And yeah, we'll see more of Heath Evans than we have in recent weeks for sure. I expect Welker to have a big game, too.

DarrylStingley
10-24-2008, 11:26 AM
I think BJGE will get plenty of carries.

Why would BB go to Evans more than BJGE when he didn't do that on Monday night AND BJGE did pretty well on Monday night? If it aint broke....

Claremonster
10-24-2008, 11:28 AM

Why would BB go to Evans more than BJGE when he didn't do that on Monday night AND BJGE did pretty well on Monday night? If it aint broke....

True/ Although Evans would probably be a big help in blocking. :shrug:

mikiemo83
10-24-2008, 11:33 AM

Why would BB go to Evans more than BJGE when he didn't do that on Monday night AND BJGE did pretty well on Monday night? If it aint broke....because in the second half the Bronco's were more concerned with the run

I think if BJGE can not block he will not be out there missing blocks that could make O'Connell teh QB

JD10367
10-24-2008, 11:58 AM

I'm never quite sure. And I'm the one who types them.

But I'd like to point out how MY football thread got hijacked into golf and nude-bike-jumping, by MODS even, while THIS thread is about football. It's 'cause she's a chick, right? :harumph: You're always nicer to the ladies around here. If I had some bewbies and no whacker, I'd probably be liked more!

Oh, sh*t. :rolleyes: I just realized what LW is gonna do with this post... :crying: :banghead:

Annihilus
10-24-2008, 12:01 PM
I'm never quite sure. And I'm the one who types them.

But I'd like to point out how MY football thread got hijacked into golf and nude-bike-jumping, by MODS even, while THIS thread is about football. It's 'cause she's a chick, right? :harumph: You're always nicer to the ladies around here. If I had some bewbies and no whacker, I'd probably be liked more!

Oh, sh*t. :rolleyes: I just realized what LW is gonna do with this post... :crying: :banghead:

MODS = More Offtopic DisscussionS

Wait a second....who said anything about being nude? :confused:

dchester
10-24-2008, 01:59 PM
You're always nicer to the ladies around here. If I had some bewbies and no whacker, I'd probably be liked more!

Yeah, so what's your point?