PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Jamal Lewis, Eric Moulds and Brian Simmons

patfan64
02-28-2007, 04:32 PM
Both were released by their repective teams today.

Lewis has his share of baggage but could find new life in the Pats backfield

Moulds might be a little past his prime but if Troy does retire, he could be a good veteran presence for the young guys.

Thoughts?

mikiemo83
02-28-2007, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by patfan64 on 02-28-2007 at 04:32 PM

Moulds might be a little past his prime but if Troy does retire, he could be a good veteran presence for the young guys.

Thoughts? Lewis is not a good man,

Moulds seems to have a fan in BB if IIRC and as a Brown replacement yes, but will he accept that role

patfan64
02-28-2007, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by mikiemo83 on 02-28-2007 at 04:33 PM
Lewis is not a good man,

Moulds seems to have a fan in BB if IIRC and as a Brown replacement yes, but will he accept that role

Dillon was considered a cancer, as well. I'm not saying that we should break the bank for the guy but if he's willing to come in and split carries, I would be OK with it. He's a monster.

Moulds is a bit of a d*ck but his knowledge of the AFC East might be helpful.

skippy1999
02-28-2007, 04:50 PM
BB has always been effusive in his praise for Moulds, I think he comes here as a stop-gap for whenever CJ is able to return.

harrisonhits
02-28-2007, 04:53 PM
IIRC Moulds opened his mouth and criticized Mularkey with the result of getting benched for a game or two the last year he was in Buffalo. That probably led to his release as well.

On the other hand, Mularkey was a god awful head coach and I can't blame the guy for talking about it.

Oswlek
02-28-2007, 04:55 PM
I would take Moulds in a heartbeat. He was actually quite good last year, IMHO, it is just that Houston's offense is deplorable.

mikiemo83
02-28-2007, 04:57 PM
Originally posted by patfan64 on 02-28-2007 at 04:39 PM
Dillon was considered a cancer, as well. Different type of Club house distraction than Dillon was

Lewis was in Jail instead of training camp

Undertaker #59
02-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by Oswlek on 02-28-2007 at 04:55 PM
I would take Moulds in a heartbeat. He was actually quite good last year, IMHO, it is just that Houston's offense is deplorable.

Ditto.

I wish the Pats had signed him last year. Seems a no brainer to me.

Undertaker #59
02-28-2007, 05:12 PM
Brian Simmons as well...

From the Herald:

Simmons may be a bit more enticing. The 6-foot-3, 240-pounder has played the “Mike” over the last few years for Marvin Lewis, and instantly upgrade the linebacking corps’ ability in coverage. Simmons picked up some experience playing on the inside in a 3-4 under zone-blitz guru Dick LeBeau, who was Cincinnati’s head coach from 2000-02 and defensive coordinator there from 1997-2000. He turns 32 in June, and battled a neck injury last year, but might just be the type of high-characeter veteran the Patriots would look into.

JD10367
02-28-2007, 05:56 PM
Moulds, sure.

Lewis, no way.

MEPATNUT
02-28-2007, 06:01 PM
Moulds-yes. Simmons- yes.

Lewis- we don't have any orange jump suits.

02-28-2007, 06:29 PM
Originally posted by patfan64 on 02-28-2007 at 04:32 PM

Thoughts?

Lewis as a Pat? Get off the shitty-ass drugs. No way, no how does Lewis join this team.

As for Moulds, even if Troy does dcide to go another year, I say get that mofo to scribble his Hancock on a contract.

#1Patsfan_chica
02-28-2007, 06:37 PM
I wouldn't mind seeing Moulds in a Pats uniform but it's a no for Lewis.

The*Big*Lebowski
02-28-2007, 07:06 PM
Lewis' legal trouble culminated in the 2004 season, but the crime actually occurred before he was even drafted in 2000. The original charge? "attempting to distribute cocaine". He pled out to a lesser charge.

Since he's been in the league I don't ever remember hearing of him doing much of anything wrong. I find it funny people are so quick to make comments about him when we welcomed Corey Dillon to the team despite having a much lengthier rap sheet of much more serious crimes. Including slapping his wife around during the 2000 season.

The point is guys can change. Or if not change, keep themselves under control in the right environment. Who's to say Lewis couldn't be on this team? He's 28 or so and is still a good power running back and a definite upgrade over Dillon at this point in their careers.

I'd love to have him and trust the team enough to judge whether or not he'd fit in. And I am not on "shitty ass drugs".

02-28-2007, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by The Big Lebowski on 02-28-2007 at 07:06 PM
Lewis' legal trouble culminated in the 2004 season, but the crime actually occurred before he was even drafted in 2000. The original charge? "attempting to distribute cocaine". He pled out to a lesser charge.

Since he's been in the league I don't ever remember hearing of him doing much of anything wrong. I find it funny people are so quick to make comments about him when we welcomed Corey Dillon to the team despite having much lengthier rap sheet of much more serious crimes. Including slapping his wife around during the 2000 season.

The point is guys can change. Or if not change, keep themselves under control in the right environment. Who's to say Lewis couldn't be on this team? He's 28 or so and is still a good power running back and a definite upgrade over Dillon at this point in their careers.

I'd love to have him and trust the team enough to judge whether or not he'd fit in. And I am not on "shitty ass drugs".

Did Corey ever sleep at the Crowbar Hotel like Lewis did?

I honestly don't know if he did or not and at this time, I'm too ****ed up on shitty ass drugs to research it. :D

Yeah people change. Sometimes.

I'll just agree to disagree with you on this subject and leave it at that. :thumb:

MattsPats
02-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Is Huey Lewis available?

3 Point Stan
02-28-2007, 08:46 PM
Originally posted by MattsPats on 02-28-2007 at 08:35 PM
Is Huey Lewis available?
Or how about Shari Lewis?
http://www.ohiovalleyemmy.org/images/history/sharilewis.jpg

Goddamn do I miss that Lamb Chop.

Steve1
02-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by 3 Point Stan on 02-28-2007 at 08:46 PM
Or how about Shari Lewis?
http://www.ohiovalleyemmy.org/images/history/sharilewis.jpg

Goddamn do I miss that Lamb Chop.

I miss Kookla Fran and Oli........but what the hell does Any of that have to do with Eric "the Patriots killa" Moulds, Ha???????????

I'm curious.....what mid-level free agents will the Pats sign to help them get back to the promised land?

Anyways, Jamal Lewis was a heck of a back a few years ago....did he get over the 2000 yd mark vs. the Steelers? Or was he trying to break the all-time record of 2130 yds by Eric Dickerson? I've really forgotten....but I remember watching that game a couple of years ago.

SteelerFan87
02-28-2007, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by skippy1999 on 02-28-2007 at 04:50 PM
I think he comes here as a stop-gap for whenever CJ is able to return.

CJ? Charles Johnson is coming back to the NFL??? Sweet!

JONATHAN!
02-28-2007, 11:15 PM
Feb. 28, 2007, 5:16PM
Texans cut ties with cornerstone Payne, 2 others

By MEGAN MANFULL
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

TOOLS
Email Get section feed
Print Subscribe NOW
With free agency beginning Friday, the Texans made their first roster moves by waiving defensive tackle Seth Payne, receiver Eric Moulds and offensive tackle Zach Wiegert.

Now after last years frenzy of Moulds, TO, and Javon Walker why wouldn't they take a shot at this guy right now (FOR FREE)!?!

This, to me, could be too good to be to be true.

Thoughts?

The*Big*Lebowski
02-28-2007, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by #54 on 02-28-2007 at 08:01 PM
Did Corey ever sleep at the Crowbar Hotel like Lewis did?

I honestly don't know if he did or not and at this time, I'm too ****ed up on shitty ass drugs to research it. :D

Yeah people change. Sometimes.

I'll just agree to disagree with you on this subject and leave it at that. :thumb:

Corey did worse by smacking his wife around. I was still psyched when they signed him.

Past legal problems just aren't important to me. Who they are now is all that I really care about. Lots of people screw up when they are young. Hell, I did things 10 years ago that I'd never do now. I never suggested he's changed. None of us really know that.

Not like it matters as it's an unlikely he'll be on the team. But if he is, I don't suspect any of the people against the idea will be finding a new team to root for.

:thumb:

Moulds seems like a good fit here. He'd get what he wants in that he'd be able to face his former team twice a year, have a legit shot at a ring, and be the definite #1 guy. Maybe that brings his salary demand down some. Maybe not.

The thing about all of these guys, from Moss to Lewis to Moulds, is that I feel confident that the 2 headed monster knows what they are doing and will realize who will fit and who won't.

JONATHAN!
02-28-2007, 11:22 PM
Sorry, got my answers on the other thread which I didn't read first.

Still think this would be a great signing.

easycome_easygo
02-28-2007, 11:24 PM
speaking of the Texans... sorry off topic

Do you think they will keep David Carr or trade him?
I think they should trade him and get a quarterback in the draft.

JONATHAN!
02-28-2007, 11:30 PM
I don't think they could get anything for him.
The poor guy too, he has no OL to let him do anything, but trades in the NFL are far and few.

chef
03-01-2007, 12:32 AM
If Carr played for any other team (expect Oakland) he cud hav bn a gud qb

SamBam39
03-01-2007, 08:00 AM
I think they should at least look at him. Especially if Troy Brown is seriously considering retirement.

Brownfan80
03-01-2007, 08:14 AM
Originally posted by SamBam39 on 03-01-2007 at 08:00 AM
I think they should at least look at him. Especially if Troy Brown is seriously considering retirement.

I'd love to have Moulds in house even if Troy stays. I think it's clear that we'll probably need six able bodies at WR.

Caldwell
Gaffney
Jackson
Moulds
Troy
Draft pick/FA

I think that could turn into a good group. Not that they couldn't do better than that.

O.Z.O.
03-01-2007, 09:12 AM
For all of you guys bad-mouthing Jamaal Lewis and making comments about the Pats not having orange jumpsuits-

the guy made a mistake, he paid for it, and has gone a long way to making up for it. He's very popular in the community, does a lot of work with charities and children's organizations, and is widely considered to be a good citizen. The problem with him is that he requires a lot of carries to be effective, and I'm not sure how he would fit in with the Pats offense based on that.

Oswlek
03-01-2007, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Peytonsux on 03-01-2007 at 09:12 AM
For all of you guys bad-mouthing Jamaal Lewis and making comments about the Pats not having orange jumpsuits-

the guy made a mistake, he paid for it, and has gone a long way to making up for it. He's very popular in the community, does a lot of work with charities and children's organizations, and is widely considered to be a good citizen. The problem with him is that he requires a lot of carries to be effective, and I'm not sure how he would fit in with the Pats offense based on that.

I personally have no interest in Lewis not because he is a bad seed, but because he isn't that good anymore. I would imagine that there are at least 3 guys out there who could offer equal value at half the cost.

harrisonhits
03-01-2007, 09:31 AM
<<
Caldwell
Gaffney
Jackson
Moulds
Troy
Draft pick/FA
>>

Jackson is already out for the year with a torn acl, and Caldwell has the dropsies too much of the time. We need at least one good FA receiver and a high draft pick for another one.

mikiemo83
03-01-2007, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by Oswlek on 03-01-2007 at 09:22 AM
I personally have no interest in Lewis not because he is a bad seed, but because he isn't that good anymore. I would imagine that there are at least 3 guys out there who could offer equal value at half the cost. I have no use either

I heard he had bone spurs and couldn't cut - never much of a change of direction bull anyway - and that he will be back better next season - af course it was the old steeler with post concussion saying it - WTF? is his name

O.Z.O.
03-01-2007, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by mikiemo83 on 03-01-2007 at 09:32 AM
I have no use either

I heard he had bone spurs and couldn't cut - never much of a change of direction bull anyway - and that he will be back better next season - af course it was the old steeler with post concussion saying it - WTF? is his name

Yeah, he definitely doesn't have it anymore. He had a few decent games down the stretch, but he's just not the same player he was 3-4 years ago.