PDA

View Full Version : MERGED: Martyball for one more year

PA_PATS_FAN54*
01-17-2007, 04:51 PM
.... will continue in SanDiego for 2007 I just heard it on the Afternoon Blitz Sirius satellite Radio.

Undertaker #59
01-17-2007, 04:53 PM
Yeah, they just posted it on their website as well. You beat me by seconds. :)

Seriously he is a good coach, but that team showed some undisciplined play and ultimately that responsibility falls on him.

PA_PATS_FAN54*
01-17-2007, 04:54 PM
http://www.chargers.com/

press confrence

PA_PATS_FAN54*
01-17-2007, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by Undertaker #59 on 01-17-2007 at 04:53 PM
Yeah, they just posted it on their website as well. You beat me by seconds. :)

Seriously he is a good coach, but that team showed some undisciplined play and ultimately that responsibility falls on him.

Yea that's the only place it's posted! .... Well besides the Planet :D

PSC_Pats_Fan
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
This is good news in case we have to play them in the playoffs again next season.

Long live Martyball!

sonsofkraftybob
01-17-2007, 05:02 PM
Did they have a choice?

Art Shell?

Dennis green?

I mean all the decent coaches are already hired or about to be. Wisenhunt, Grimm, Saban, etc.

Marty is gone after next year...so he's lame duck and knows it.

Then it's a new system for 2 years and then when all their players are past their prime they'll be ready again.

We just destroyed that franchise with one game.

Undertaker #59
01-17-2007, 05:13 PM
STATEMENT OF DEAN SPANOS
President and Chief Executive Officer
San Diego Chargers

“I have decided that Marty Schottenheimer is the best person to lead the Chargers in the 2007 season. General Manager A.J. Smith and I agree on this fundamental point. That is why we are pleased to welcome Marty and his coaching staff back for Marty’s sixth season as head coach of the San Diego Chargers.

“We are all bitterly disappointed how this season ended, but we can’t allow our disappointment to cloud the achievements of our franchise over the past few years. Only two teams have won more regular season games over the past three years than the Chargers. We have 24 key players under long-term contracts through at least 2009. This is a fine young team, with great chemistry, and right now stability is important for this team. I’m already looking forward to next season.

“That is why we are also offering one-year contract extensions for Coach Schottenheimer’s staff, through 2008. We also offered a one-year $4.5 million contract extension to Marty, with a team option buy-out of $1 million for the 2008 season. He decided not to accept this extension, and I respect his decision.

“Now it is time to put this issue behind us and move forward together. That is what I told both Marty and A.J. when I met with them this afternoon. The entire Chargers family will do whatever it takes to bring a championship to San Diego.”

harrisonhits
01-17-2007, 05:16 PM
<<
The entire Chargers family will do whatever it takes to bring a championship to San Diego.”
>>

That's right folks, we'll keep right on driving drunk, using steroids, augmenting our income through knock-offs and purple drank, and any other disgusting thing we can think of that would have a non-professional athelete in jail. In fact we're hoping to beat the Bengals for having the most players arrested in 2007 !

:4321: the Chargers and their fecal-stained fans....

aloyouis
01-17-2007, 07:39 PM
Schottenheimer to Remain with Chargers

ESPNews reports San Diego Chargers head coach Marty Schottenheimer will be retained and coach the team for the 2007 season. Schottenheimer declined a one-year, $4.5 million extension that included a $1 million buy-out option for the team.

Cool...we will get to beat them in the playoffs again next year.........

easycome_easygo
01-17-2007, 07:46 PM
OT: That is a weird last name. Snot-en-heimer

TrueBeliever
01-17-2007, 09:34 PM
I wouldn't have let Marty go because of the playoff loss - what I can't understand is why they keep him around when he and his general manager aren't even on speaking terms.

I guess they can't be doing too bad if they built a 14-2 team together, but I just don't see how you can have a head coach and a GM who don't talk to each other.

But what do I know?

On the other hand, rumor was Miami wanted him if SD let him go. Now that would be cool!

JD10367
01-17-2007, 09:37 PM
This could've been phrased, "ESPNews reports the Chargers will be no threat to the AFC for at least another season."

The guy's such a horrible playoff coach. He's had four #1 seeds and lost every time. He's had teams that were loaded with talent and lose. HE SUCKS UNDER PRESSURE! Why would ANY team keep him? From what I've heard, this Cameron guy the Chargers have should probably be promoted; instead, he'll probably leave to coach somewhere else.

Smooth move, Chargers...

harrisonhits
01-17-2007, 09:41 PM
<<
This could've been phrased, "ESPNews reports the Chargers will be no threat to the AFC for at least another season."
>>

I am predicting next year the Chargers will be the Bengals of this year. Coming off a good run into the playoffs and getting knocked out, there will be more arrests, more steroids, more crap and with each loss more and more infighting.

Chargers will NOT make the playoffs next year, they will self destruct.

Rory
01-17-2007, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by harrisonhits on 01-17-2007 at 09:41 PM
<<
>>

I am predicting next year the Chargers will be the Bengals of this year. Coming off a good run into the playoffs and getting knocked out, there will be more arrests, more steroids, more crap and with each loss more and more infighting.

Chargers will NOT make the playoffs next year, they will self destruct.

I could see that. Definately.

I really think they needed to honor the last year of his contract though.

Costanza
01-18-2007, 03:02 AM
Just imagine what would have happened in the game if he didn't waste that timeout on that bonehead challenge. They needed that TO, they could have won.

As I was watching NFL Replay, they had some stats up. Never in playoff history has a team won where the QB throws more than 50 passes in regulation time. We did. Never has Tom Brady won a game where he threw 3 or more interceptions (0-7). Well we beat the odds this time thanks to Martyball.

It was nice to see that he didn't complain about the "classiness" of anyone during his PC. I liked him a little better for that.

Bandwagoneer*
01-18-2007, 04:30 AM
I was hoping they'd hire Denny Green. :(

Wandering Athol
01-19-2007, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by JD10367 on 01-17-2007 at 09:37 PM
From what I've heard, this Cameron guy the Chargers have should probably be promoted; instead, he'll probably leave to coach somewhere else.

Smooth move, Chargers...

He's supposedly the front runner for the Dolphins job.

O.Z.O.
01-19-2007, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by Wandering Athol on 01-19-2007 at 03:05 PM
He's supposedly the front runner for the Dolphins job.

Good, that should be enough to keep them out of contention for a few more seasons.

C,mon gang- sing with me!!

"...San Diego...SUPERCHARGERS...San Diego...SUPERCHARGERS!!!..."

has there EVER been a LAMER team fight song? Seriously, it make me want to snort coke, unbutton my shirt half-way down my chest, and put on about a dozen gold chains...WTF?

chiefsgal*
01-19-2007, 05:57 PM
OMG...I couldn't be happier.....:dbanana: no SB for them next year....:D

TrueBeliever
01-19-2007, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by Peytonsux on 01-19-2007 at 02:13 PM
Good, that should be enough to keep them out of contention for a few more seasons.

C,mon gang- sing with me!!

"...San Diego...SUPERCHARGERS...San Diego...SUPERCHARGERS!!!..."

has there EVER been a LAMER team fight song? Seriously, it make me want to snort coke, unbutton my shirt half-way down my chest, and put on about a dozen gold chains...WTF?

The old Houston Oilers one wasn't much better...