PDA

View Full Version : South Carolina mother has son arrested for playing with Christmas present

Undertaker #59
12-07-2006, 09:07 AM
http://www.breitbart.com/news/na/cp_K120511AU.xml.html

South Carolina mother has son arrested for playing with Christmas present
Dec 05 10:00 PM US/Eastern

COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) - A fed-up mother had her 12-year-old son arrested for allegedly rummaging through his great-grandmother's things and playing with his Christmas present early.

The mother called police Sunday after learning her son had disobeyed orders and repeatedly taken a Game Boy from its hiding place at his grandmother's house next door and played with it. He was arrested on petty larceny charges, taken to the local police station in handcuffs and held until his mother picked him up after church.

"My grandmother went out of her way to lay away a toy and paid on this thing for months," said the boy's mother, Brandi Ervin.

"It was only to teach my son a lesson. He's been going through life doing things...and getting away with it."

Police did not release the boy's name.

The mother said her son was diagnosed in the last year with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder but his medicine does not seem to help.

She said he faces an expulsion hearing at his school Wednesday. Rock Hill Police Capt. Mark Bollinger said the boy took a swing at a police officer assigned to the school last month. He has been suspended from school since then.

The boy's case will be presented to Department of Juvenile Justice officials in York County, who will decide what happens to him, Bollinger said. His mother hopes he can attend a program that will finally scare him straight.

"It's not even about the Christmas present," she said.

"I only want positive things out of it...There's no need for him to act this way. I'd rather call myself than someone else call for him doing something worse than this."

#1Patsfan_chica
12-07-2006, 09:15 AM
This is pretty funny. Even though why would the police arrest the kid. Do you know how many kids open their gifts early.
They are calling it petty larceny but wasn't that Game Boy going to be his in a couple of weeks?

Jets Babe
12-07-2006, 09:19 AM
i love how parents turn to medication and jail when their kid is annoying.

Moebius
12-07-2006, 09:19 AM
To be honest, I kinda like the idea. We're turning into a nation of brats where kids are allow to get away with anything. This is assuming the mother actually tried to punish/discipline the child in the first place. If not, I'd agree with JetsBabe.

Jets Babe
12-07-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Moebius on 12-07-2006 at 10:19 AM
To be honest, I kinda like the idea. We're turning into a nation of brats where kids are allow to get away with anything. This is assuming the mother actually tried to punish/discipline the child in the first place. If not, I'd agree with JetsBabe.
one time i read this story..kindof went something like this..
a daughter stayed out past curfew, so the father had her arrested for it. when the police came, the daughter (probobly thinking, **** this asshole) told the cops that her dad had a huge weed stash in the attic. the dad got arrested for drug possesion.

sonsofkraftybob
12-07-2006, 09:32 AM
What Bullshit. Not to get on my soapbox but this reminds me of one of my first public defender cases.

Once a month I take all the indigent cases of the day out of a local courthouse...the following was the first case I ever got when I started doing this 3 1/2 years ago.

An 8 year old boy and his friend were playing street hockey when a group of older kids took their sticks and wouldn't let them play. My client, the 8 year old boy, went into his house and came back out with a toy gun and yelled "leave my friend alone or I'll shoot you" The older boys' mother called police and they arrested him for Assault with a Dangerous Weapon.

At every stage of the case when in Court the presiding Judge would call the ADA and I up to the bench and basically say "WTF is he doing in front of me (sometimes in his pajamas and carrying his favorite Winnie the Pooh book.) he's 8 years old???

Unfortunately, a Judge can't outright dismiss a case over the States objections so the case went forward to Trial. Just before the Trial started the State moved to dismiss the case because they couldn't prove the mental element of "intent"...yeah no shit Einstien.

If pointing a toy gun at someone when you are a kid is a felony then I would have had 100's of felonies on my record...as would just about all of us.

BTW, I billed the State $1,250.00 in legal fees for having to defend this case...YOUR tax dollars hard at work because of the ineptitude of the District Attorneys office for not dismissing an OBVIOUS flawed case.

Benign Despot
12-07-2006, 09:35 AM
sokb who was the DA then, cause all those guys run for something and I want to make sure I never mistakenly vote for him.

sonsofkraftybob
12-07-2006, 09:40 AM
Originally posted by Benign Despot on 12-07-2006 at 10:35 AM
sokb who was the DA then, cause all those guys run for something and I want to make sure I never mistakenly vote for him.

Can't tell you. You can find out which Courthouse I work out of from Hawgie cuz his bro is a Court Officer there...and take the next logical step. I still do it as side work once a month and don't need the hassell.

But what really pissed me off is the email he sent to the ADA when I told them to check with their boss about dismissing this MESS..."Maybe you should more concerned with the victims rights in this case and less concerned with trying to get the defendant off the hook".

yeah, like getting an 8 year old kid "off the hook" would crumble civilization!!!!

SamBam39
12-07-2006, 09:41 AM
Now that is some serious tough love! Yikes!!!!!

BY1401
12-07-2006, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by sonsofkraftybob on 12-07-2006 at 09:40 AM
Can't tell you. You can find out which Courthouse I work out of from Hawgie cuz his bro is a Court Officer there...and take the next logical step. I still do it as side work once a month and don't need the hassell.

But what really pissed me off is the email he sent to the ADA when I told them to check with their boss about dismissing this MESS..."Maybe you should more concerned with the victims rights in this case and less concerned with trying to get the defendant off the hook".

yeah, like getting an 8 year old kid "off the hook" would crumble civilization!!!!
I'd have just sent him an e-mail with the attached image:

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n14/joelm_02/bod.png

southcarolina
12-07-2006, 10:11 AM
I ummm.....errr.....

No comment.

But i still love you mom.

southcarolina
12-07-2006, 10:18 AM
Actually what i read was the gift was wrapped and the boy was repeatedly told to leave it alone, and still unwrapped it. And when they asked where it was, he lied about it, and later admitted he had it in his room. The article i read seemed to indicate that the mother was a single mom and that the kid was becoming uncontrollable. Hell at 12 i was 5'10 and 180 lbs. If i had been inclined to, there is no way my mom could have physically controlled me.

I think the kid was "arrested" to try to scare him, and , again in the article i read, the mom picked him up at the police station later after she went to church. Its not like he was in a cell with adults or anything.

Undertaker #59
12-07-2006, 10:20 AM
I would have just returned the Game Boy to the store or given it to a more deserving kid.

southcarolina
12-07-2006, 10:24 AM
Originally posted by Undertaker #59 on 12-07-2006 at 11:20 AM
I would have just returned the Game Boy to the store or given it to a more deserving kid.

Maybe thay had already tried that in another situation. Of course its easy to sit here and postulate what we would have done in that situation, not having actualy been in that situation. Plus they said the G-mother had put it on layaway and had been paying on it for months. Doesnt sound like they could afford to just give it away.

Jaric
12-07-2006, 10:29 AM
I hate to make presumptions, but I wonder if this child has a male figure in his life.

I know that all my mother had to say was "well we can just tell your father when he gets home from work."

That was enough to shut me up very quickly.

I don't condone beating children. And abuse is one of the most terrible things in this world.

But I have no problem with parents disiplining children. Even if you don't agree with her, at least she cares enough to actually raise this kid.

mikiemo83
12-07-2006, 10:32 AM
I would have whacked the little SOB up side the head about 8 years ago so none of this type of behaviour would be an issue today. To many spare the rod and spoil the child.

honest a little discipline early in life goes a long way towards preventing this type of behavior. I don't hit my kids, but a little tap on the ass at the appropriate times goes a long way. Yes, please and thank you are very common around my house.

I still open doors for women and say ma'am and sir when talking to my elders at public places showing them proper respect

- this little shit never learned to respect anything so he should get nothing

maxhagen
12-07-2006, 02:01 PM
Hello guys,

1. With all due respect to the DA on the kid's case, SOKB, if we allow toy guns to be sold how can we do expect kids not to use them to point at people? And think about it, what would some kid use a toy gun for? Simply stupid.

On the ADHD case... thats even worse. I remember on a show by Carlos Mencia saying that he has a nephew that has the same condition but can spend 8 hours playing Halo 2. ADD means that they cant focus on things for long periods of time. The kid has ADHD but plays with a Gameboy? Give me a break. He is just a brat.

3. Kids are so freaking spoiled and so ungrateful these days. I remember when I was a kid in Puerto Rico (not too long by the way... well maybe more long than I want to admit.. anyway) if I did something wrong my mom would beat the crap out of me. If I yelled at here she would hit me. It was tough love, but I learned. Now if you try to reprimand your kid you can go to JAIL. This is getting ridiculous.

Funny thing... My wife is from Dominican Republic and these bullshit kid can call the cops on their parents doesnt work there. What parents from DR do with asshole kids here in the states is to take them on vacation to Dominican Republic and once they land and exit the airport they beat the CRAP out of them...

Just my .02 cents...

O.Z.O.
12-07-2006, 02:48 PM
My kid is pretty stubborn. At 9 years old he doesn't do what he's told without a fight. Every now and then I'll tune his ass up, just so that he knows I will do it if he pushes too far.

dchester
12-07-2006, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by mikiemo83 on 12-07-2006 at 11:32 AM
I would have whacked the little SOB up side the head about 8 years ago so none of this type of behaviour would be an issue today. To many spare the rod and spoil the child.

honest a little discipline early in life goes a long way towards preventing this type of behavior. I don't hit my kids, but a little tap on the ass at the appropriate times goes a long way. Yes, please and thank you are very common around my house.

I still open doors for women and say ma'am and sir when talking to my elders at public places showing them proper respect

- this little shit never learned to respect anything so he should get nothing I agree with what you said, although I did spank my son when he was younger. The real problem is likely that this kid needed discipline several years ago. If you can't make a toddler behave, you have no chance when the child gets a little older. This parent has failed, and their child is going to suffer the consequences. Calling the cops is absolutely ridiculous though. I think it was UT who said, they should have taken the toy away from the kid permanently.